Atco Dragway to permanently close after 63 years in NJ, all remaining events for 2023 canceled

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
My dart at the wall guesses
IAA bought it figuring the township will change their tune with now reduced tax collection.
NJCF or similar

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I know this stinks & I'm sad to see it go, but I've been going there since the mid 70's & eventually racing there in the mid 80's/early 90's. Seeing that Fazzio is selling the bleachers, I know it's done.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Probably just rumor but I’m hearing from a long time atco/West Berlin resident that it’s going to be weed growing facility. I don’t like the sounds of this.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ

No new information here. I was hoping they would have the inside scoop on who it was sold to.
The one thing that it does point out. The track is closed and the grandstand is up for sale. Anything beyond that is speculation at this point. No sale of the property has been recorded in neither the county nor the Twp as far as I know at this point. I’ve heard many rumors and conspiracy theories so far but that’s all they are just rumors.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The one thing that it does point out. The track is closed and the grandstand is up for sale. Anything beyond that is speculation at this point. No sale of the property has been recorded in neither the county nor the Twp as far as I know at this point. I’ve heard many rumors and conspiracy theories so far but that’s all they are so far.

Fazzio's mentioned in their listing that they didn't know who the "new owners" are and that they were working with the "previous owners" - that's the strongest indication I've seen that it's changed hands. But that could also be incorrect.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Probably just rumor but I’m hearing from a long time atco/West Berlin resident that it’s going to be weed growing facility.

From what I've read, weed growing facilities are usually indoors, in a secure warehouse with a big electric service for the grow lights and HVAC. Seems like there would be other places that are a better fit for that.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Fazzio's mentioned in their listing that they didn't know who the "new owners" are and that they were working with the "previous owners" - that's the strongest indication I've seen that it's changed hands. But that could also be incorrect.
I forgot about that comment. I’d imagine Fazios was involved in 2020 when it was going to be sold then, so I’d imagine they picked right back up this time. Over the years rumors of the track closing for good have come up multiple times. Im not saying that the rumors aren’t true. I’m just a little skeptical until I see a little more proof. Although, it seems like this is the end this time.

Reactions: stiltzkin

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
R. I. P. Atco Raceway/Atco Dragway, 1960-2023. Respect for those who raced there over the years, regret for those who no longer have that opportunity.

"Fuel" Metallica NHRA -- Kurt Meyer

Reactions: enormiss

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Went by today and the sign is also gone. I wonder if they sold it or are storing it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am hearing the sign was stored. That seems like the most plausible choice as it may benefit them in some way later.

Reactions: MuckSavage