Atco Dragway

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today we were heading down the White Horse Pike and one of those jumping cars pulled up behind us at a light and was bouncing all over the place. It was quite funny to see it behind us. Anyway, it passed us and disappeared ahead. Eventually, we arrived at Atco Dragway and the major event they have with those types and similar cars was starting to be let in. It was unbelievable how many cars were coming from the Atsion way trying to get in. I am pretty certain they were forcing those who came from the White Horse Pike to drive past the dragway and get in the end of the line. This forced every car to make a u-turn on Jackson Road. On Facebook it now says the place was eventually shut down for Covid restrictions and people are pissed. Some saying the police were called. But the fact is the police were already there as well as the state police sitting at Atsion road and Jackson road in preparation for the crowds. Since they have this every year I suspect they have had problems. Not really sure.

In any event, if you are interested, here is a long video of our experience getting down the road from the entrance to the dragway to almost Atsion Road. The video is just us driving by the cars and nothing more. So don't watch if you don't want to or have time.

The truck in front of us was not happy.

https://youtu.be/63KVPMjP0_Y

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
You must have been thru there early. They had Jackson Rd shut down east bound at Hopewell Rd around 11am when I went by. 2Hrs later when I went by 73 & Jackson the low ride crew had taken over the old gas station on the corner. Made a real mess of traffic in the area...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You must have been thru there early. They had Jackson Rd shut down east bound at Hopewell Rd around 11am when I went by. 2Hrs later when I went by 73 & Jackson the low ride crew had taken over the old gas station on the corner. Made a real mess of traffic in the area...
The time stamp says 9:51. I did not notice anything odd on Jackson until we came into view of the dragway. We drove right up to the entrance without a problem which tells me they would not them make a left into the place.

That jumping car had a compressor or tank in his car that controls it. That pulled up behind us and was really loud. I was wondering what was happening until I saw movement in my rear view mirror.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
My wife and I were getting gas at Atco Ave and the pike on our way out heading for Lebanon through Wharton planning a leisurely drive, not remembering there was an event, when we saw a county mobile command center go by, minutes later 4 Voorhees cars came by in a hurry, followed by Somerdale. They all turned on Bartram and went down Raritan, we went the same way. We were trying to pass there around 1230 or so, ended up making a right turn on Waverly Ave just before the new fence at the powerline, with permission from WTPD! I went down and picked up Old Atsion Rd and continued on my way. Oddly 2 of those little tuner cars were coming toward me on Waverly! The below shots are just before the Atco Raceway gate, it would be on the left, truly a mess.

Attachments

• Atco 1.jpg
    Atco 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Atco 2.jpg
    Atco 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Wow
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I never saw anything like it. My wife and I were 73 southbound in Berlin yesterday on my motorcycle approaching Jackson around 4:00 pm. Police had the northbound lanes closed completely. There were police officers from multiple towns and Sheriff's Department vans parked along the shoulder of northbound..

The groups of turned-away fans started large scale parties in the parking lots of businesses on Route 73 in that stretch. Some were open some were not. Victory Bar and Grill decided to close. The vehicles literally had walls of speakers erected that were blasting so loud I could hear the music and literally feel the bass while passing by in the southbound lanes on a Harley. My son lives in Evesham near Medford and he could hear it loud and clear.

If anyone wants to see a clip of these speaker setups on Facebook, check Giuseppe Stellato's Facebook page. He is the owner of Roma Pizza at 73 and Jackson. He had a huge group in his parking lot yesterday. He posted a video of the music. I still can't figure out where all that juice comes from to push those speakers.

EDIT 19:00 hours: Mr. Stellato removed his post it seems.

Atco Raceway is pledging full refunds to all of those who were turned away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
I never saw anything like it. My wife and I were 73 southbound in Berlin yesterday on my motorcycle approaching Jackson around 4:00 pm. Police had the northbound lanes close completely. There were police officers from multiple towns and Sheriff's Department vans aprked along the shoulder of northbound..

The groups of turned-away fans started large scale parties in the parking lots of businesses on Route 73 in that stretch. Some were open some were not. Victory Bar and Grill decided to close. The vehicles literally had walls of speakers erected that were blasting so loud I could hear the music and literally feel the bass while passing by in the southbound lanes on a Harley. My son lives in Evesham near Medford and he could hear it loud and clear.

If anyone wants to see a clip of these speaker setups on Facebook, check Giuseppe Stellato's Facebook page. He is the owner of Roma Pizza at 73 and Jackson. He had a huge group in his parking lot yesterday. He posted a video of the music. I still can't figure out where all that juice comes from to push those speakers.

Atco Raceway is pledging full refunds to all of those who were turned away.
I seen this also however I don't think it was wise of those who hijacked parking lots and took over victory pubs parking lot so they had to close. I sure hope the track keeps to there word and gives refunds to those who were turned away

Mikeofthewoods

Oct 29, 2020
Indian Cabin Road
the cars with the crazy speakers are a straight up nuisance. They blast music on both sides of the Delaware at random times/places each night. You can hear them for miles away, even inside your house

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
(Subtitle: An extra in a TeeGate video.)

Yesterday, while looking on YouTube for PBX and other backwoods hiking videos, I came across Guy's channel. I began to watch and enjoy his videos, until getting to the one documenting this clusterbleep of a morning. At about the 3:41 mark, a silver Mercury can be seen. I was on NJPB for two years before joining and never knew it. Dang, of all of the great things I could imagine doing in a TeeGate video, this appearance featured one of the few times in my life I was surrounded by pine trees and wanted to be somewhere else!

I had managed to get an appointment for my first Covid shot scheduled for that day, but had to go to Sewell for it, about a fifty-minute drive...normally. The appointment was at 10:45, but I left Tabernacle not much after 9:30, just to give myself a cushion in the event of an unexpected delay. (I couldn't hear the Greek chorus in the background: "Good luck with that cushion, farmboy!") Obviously, I never heard about any big event at the raceway that day. I had as much luck escaping that traffic jam as a little fly vs. a sundew. From a distance, it would have been interesting to see Jackson Road turn into a three (at a few moments four) lane one-way road, but in person it was not a pleasant experience. Two-and-a-half hours after my appointment time, I arrived in Sewell. They did give me my Covid shot anyway, thankfully. I admit to wishing I could give whoever was responsible for that fiasco on Jackson Road a dose of something too.

As this is my first post, I'd like to say that it's an honor to be part of this community. It not only encompasses so much Pine Barrens knowledge, but also seems to be blessed by many, many truly good people. I look forward to getting to know more about both the Pine Barrens and you folks going forward.

John Abrams
"M1 Abrams"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry you got stuck in that mess. Fortunately for us it was not too bad our way. I assume you are in this section?

silver.jpg

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Yep, Guy, that's my car at the front in that picture. It was right behind that big black vehicle with the huge speakers on top. There was no lack of huge speakers that day.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
ATCO, New Jersey (WPVI) -- Atco Dragway, the home for many car enthusiasts in South Jersey, says it is permanently closing after 63 years.
The Camden County race track made the announcement on Facebook Tuesday night. "We will not be open from this point on. The remainder of our schedule for 2023 will be canceled. Thank you all for your patronage and memories over the years," read a statement.