ATV park to close......

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
something I don't understand. It was a good solution to a bad problem, and it is left to slide away. I am not a rider, but many are. I hate to see the result of this inaction. What's up with DEP and NJCF? No problems for 10 years and now neither can write a simple letter? :argh:

"According to the Pinelands Commission, neither the New Jersey Conservation Foundation nor the DEP have approached them to discuss renewing the lease or to ask for more time while the Monroe site is worked out."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loc..._in_Burlington_Co__leaves_riders_stalled.html

Irishfire

Nov 9, 2008
Hi everyone. I’m a newbie here but I work for NJCF and would really like to address some of the misconceptions out there surrounding this issue. Let me just say that this is just me talking here so any opinions here are mine and not necessarily those of NJCF.

46er’s comments are right on to a point. It was a good solution to a bad problem but the Chatsworth site was not ever intended by any party including the folks at the NJORVP to be the permanent home of the off-road vehicle park. Let me just give a little background to this story.

NJCF received that property as a donation in 1978. Over the years, the rampant off-road vehicle use grew to become such a problem that we knew traditional enforcement would not solve the problem. In the early to mid 1990’s NJCF sought out a group of responsible riders to see if they would be interested a novel approach to solving a part of this State’s problem of a lack of appropriate places to ride ORVs (at the time there were no designated public riding areas). So we helped to organize the non-profit that currently runs the park and then convinced the NJDEP, Pinelands Commission and Woodland Township to agree to temporarily allow for the creation of a supervised ORV park for one 10-year period. The primary reason for the temporary nature of the park was because the property is in the Preservation Area of the pine barrens and a park such as this is expressly prohibited by the Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan. Not to metion home to numerous rare and threatened species and one of the greatest wilderness areas on the east coast.

In exchange for this temporary park, several things were supposed to be accomplished: 1) The NJORVP was to create a controlled riding area and clamp down on the riding on the rest of the 265-acre property. 2) The NJORVP organization was to escrow about $20,000 for the restoration of the property after its closure in 2008. 3) The NJORVP was to gain experience on how to build and run a park like this so in 10 years they could transition to their own property in an area of the pine barrens where this is a legal and permitted activity. During this time NJCF also helped the NJORVP directly and indirectly by making sure that there was both state and federal funding available for either the State or a non-profit like NJORVP to use to buy land, build a new park and complete this solution.

Well 1 & 2 happened and 3 didn’t. Many have blamed the State for not coming up with a new site in time and that in some ways is fair based on statements made by DEP. But sometimes if you really want something done, you need to do it yourself. The funding that the State is using to buy and build ORV parks is also available to qualified non-profits as well. So the ORV community has as much if not more responsibility for the lack of a new facility as any other group. As an example, when the State’s negotiations with DeMarco fell through, NJCF didn’t complain and bad-mouth the State. We said ‘this is something that should happen’ and raised the money to preserve the 9,400 acres ourselves which is now the Franklin Parker Preserve.

So NJCF helped to create the NJORVP non-profit, got the State and the town to suspend their regulations for 10 years, let NJORVP use our property for those 10 years to build the expertise and membership base needed to relocate to a permanent home, and worked to ensure that ample funding was in place to allow the ORV community buy their own place. All of this was above and beyond our stated mission as an organization. We recognize that illegal ORV riding is a huge problem and that safe legal site are absolutely needed but I think it is fair to say that we have done more than our part to solve this problem.

I’ll now open the floor to questions and the odd flying rotten tomato…….

- Chris

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
See something like this in PA.....
litke.jpg

...or something like this in NJ.
park_police_boat_car.jpg

If you are a good rider and know where to go you'll probably not get caught but you always run the risk. The Wharton State Forest is approximately 115,000 acres and how many "Park Police" patrol it? Your chances of even seeing a ranger is not that great but you never know. It's not fun riding when you feel like you are doing something wrong.

Just ride somewhere else like PA. Pennsylvania is very ATV friendly and the sights are awesome. We are planning a trip to West Virginia and can't wait to get down there. It's ashame they can't come to some compromise with this but it's NJ, what else do you expect. I stopped worrying about it and stopped getting mad as well. It will never change. The fact is NJ doesn't want ATV riders in their state but they don't mind all the tax money collected from ATV sales and registration after they promised 2 new off-road parks yet haven't delivered one.

Just do what many other businesses, families and ATV riders are doing, take it elsewhere.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am not an ATV'er, but don't mind folks legally using them. What I find kind of ironic is a group that exits to preserve something, decides, for apparently resoning they perfer to keep to themselves, to remove a resource that actually does help to preserve what they want preserved. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a small piece of something to preserve the whole. I sent off an email question to the NJCF, but no response, kinda figured that would be the case. Thanks for the responses.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I’ll now open the floor to questions and the odd flying rotten tomato…….

- Chris

Chris,

Welcome, and thanks for a very interesting first post. I just want to say that if you do get a flying rotten tomato, please just brush it off and not let it get to you. We have had a few new members who just could not do that, and I hope you are not one of them. You will never please everyone here, and if you can get past that you have won the battle.

A note to others, if you are reading this and have not read the post from Chris above, please scroll up and read it. Because it was his first post it was flagged for approval, and a few other posts came in before I was able to do that. It is post #5.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I used to get worked up over this too. (See my exchanges with the PPA.)

Cjage does have a point. The NJORV folks could have raised enough money to buy land and move the operations elsewhere. Given that the state hasn't even been able to get approval from several municipalities to host a park, it seems unlikely that a private group would be able to as well. Simply put, nobody wants an ORV park in their yard.

The Chatsworth location is excellent. Not only do they have no neighbors, but a nearby parcel of land (Pioneer Smelting) is so contaminated that it's unlikely that the NJCF themselves would be able to pay to remediate it. It's unlikely that it would ever get built on again, so it acts as a nice buffer to the park.

At the end of the day, the NJCF will get their land back. Riders will be in a worse state then they were 10 years ago (since you could legally drive registered/insured ORV's on state land and now you can't) and people will either flee NJ to go to PA and ride, or they'll scoff the law and hope they won't get caught. Riders will also continue to blame the state, the PPA, the Pinelands Commission, and probably most of all the NJCF. All the while sensitive ecosystems are at risk because of the total mismanagement of the problem by the state.

This is the outcome as I see it. I hope to God that I'm wrong.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I always agree completely with you on this subject Ben. You have been and always will be on target.

Guy

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
FYI, Pioneer Smelting cleanup was accomplished in 2004. It was a superfund site and as such cleanup was supervised and paid by tha US EPA. The contaminated soil was trucked to Cape May county landfill and used as cap.
Tom

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
FYI, Pioneer Smelting cleanup was accomplished in 2004. It was a superfund site and as such cleanup was supervised and paid by tha US EPA. The contaminated soil was trucked to Cape May county landfill and used as cap.
Tom

Hrm, I remember talking to the folks who run the NJORV park and they said that one of the reasons they did not buy Pioneer Smelting was because they could not afford the remediation.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Well we as taxpayers paid for it. I know this because my trucks brought the road base inti there and trucked out the contaminated dirt.
Once the EPA or the DEP get involved in a cleanup, it's like getting a blank check from the government, or in many cases the land owner. If an unsuspecting buyer had purchased that property, he would have been saddled with the entire cost, which I am sure was in the millions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There always is a possibility that the contaminates are on adjacent land, and even along the train tracks leading to and from there. The material had to get to and from there somehow. If you walk along tracks that supply sand or even glass balls such as a fiberglass factory, there always is something leaking from the rail cars.

Guy