Baby Deer

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I came across this little one on my travels in Wharton - Tabernacle - Mommy was not far off. The little one hid as soon as it saw us. More of the beauty in the Pines.

Fawn.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
That's pretty cool. I have seen plenty of fawns but never one that close. Hopefully we have a good year of fawns making it through their first year. Thanks for sharing.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been this close to several and I think this one picked a bad spot.His/her camo does not work well here.I almost stpped on one of the ones I encountered.In dappled sunlight they disappear. I saw it's ear flick as my boot was coming down on it.It was in an old fire break i was using as a trail.My dog ran right past it.Never smelled it.They are scentless till they can outrun most predators.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Walking around my property this afternoon, I came across the exact same thing - a baby deer crouched down along the trail, just like your photo. It must have been very young, smaller than a large dog. Very cute. I was almost as startled as the deer - came around the corner and there he was, only a few feet away. I just stood there for a few seconds, then took a step towards him and he jumped up and ran down the trail - pretty fast for a little fellow. No sign of Mama anywhere, but he let out a surprisingly loud squawk (bleat?) as he ran. Don't think I've ever heard a sound like that before. Figured I had already scared him enough, so I didn't try to follow.

Pretty cool. I see lots of deer around here, but never a baby this small by itself at such close range.