bad mushrooms

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
are their any bad mushrooms in s jersey that might be a controled substains concerned parent/ son found in woods
If you are thinking of "magic mushrooms". no we do not have the right growing conditions up here esp. in the pines. The ones that grow in a pile of horse dung are not the same as you find in cow poo down in Florida if this is your concern.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
People would probably have to grow them in an indoors controlled environment around this part of the country (not that I would know anything about this). Any mushroom found without the proper knowledge of it should be treated as potentionally deadly since there are so many toxic ones in our country. I have a good friend in PA who knows quite a bit about them and likes to go shroom hunting for the edible ones. He makes some mean meals out of them, stuffing them with wild game, spices, and cheese. Some mushrooms around here might give you a cool 5 minute high.. and then you die. You sure the kid didnt buy them from a friend and is just giving you the run-around?? Sounds like something I would have made up as a kid if my parents caught me!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the magic mushrooms are from the psilocybe genus and I believe Mudboy is right that the common ones people trip on are not around here but we do have a hallucinogenic mushroom (at least reportedly so) called "big laughing jim".It grows in large clusters on dead oak and pine stumps.It grows mostly from august to october.I have never had the courage to try it and see because anything that is hallucinogenic is also poisonous and could very well cause your last great trip.We also have jimsonweed around here which is also hallucinogenic and is supposed to make you see everything in red.The hallucinogenic shrooms are the least of your problem with a small kid.We have several shrooms of the deadly "amanita" genus around here and they are very common in late summer and fall.The death cap is one.a small not very pretty shroom and the destroying angel is another which is a very dainty beautiful shroom that is glowing white and is quite photogenic.These shrooms while commonly eaten bu box turtles,squirrels ,etc will liquefy your liver with one mouthful.They are very common as i say and very deadly.The kid should be taught that if he eats any mushroom he finds in the woods it will kill him.When he gets older and is able to read and follow instructions on how to take spore counts and all that he can get into the edlible varietys.we have two good ones that I can positively identify and the rest I don't touch.Brick top and honey shrooms.I'm no shroom expert so if it has look alikes which these too don't I wouldn't fool with it.
Al

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Attending University of Delaware in the mid 90s there was always talk of closeby Delaware county PA as being fine territory to pick the "magic" ones at pre-dawn. Never got up early enough to make the journey.

reelboys

Scout
Dec 22, 2008
holy park nj
Son found in cedar swamp in bayville nj local cop arested him thursday and charged him with CDS when i call him down on it berkley pd didnt charge him and sent the mushroons to a lab and my son came home last night

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
they aint gonna grow in no cedar swamp thats for sure. I'd file a complaint against the officer honestly, unless your son had em wrapped up in a ziploc bag or something

reelboys

Scout
Dec 22, 2008
holy park nj
yes dave they were in a bag and he had a book from the libarary on mushrooms im pissed that the cop picked him up but my sons have more time in the woods then most people any city cops all they think of is drugs and kids and money now its costs me for a attorney $300.00 hard dollars

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If they test positive as Psilocybin Mushrooms than somethings fishy and there might be more to the story. Does your son listen to Pink Floyd and the Dead?

reelboys

Scout
Dec 22, 2008
holy park nj
no pink floyd but hes pretty good at pulling those spikes out of the woods around bamber lake area and help cleaning up crusoville shit hole on cleanup days he a good kid and knows bass river track better than wayne tunision

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i had afriend arrested once for having a baggie of dried sweet fern on his dash.they swore it was marijuana.the head cop at the station took one whiff of it and said i don't know what this is but it ain't pot and made the officers apologize to him.after they smacked him around of course.he admitted to wising off to them so he probably deserved it)i told him to sue them but his dad was a prison guard and he told his son if he sued the state he would have to move out because it would cost him his job.he didn't sue.i would've and woulda lived in the woods till i collected.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No guy with me in my white f250 with a pile of wet tires his name dylan 6.45 am till 7.45 thenI went to work

The Forked River Mountain cleanup? If so, we just missed each other.

Guy

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
no pink floyd but hes pretty good at pulling those spikes out of the woods around bamber lake area and help cleaning up crusoville shit hole on cleanup days he a good kid and knows bass river track better than wayne tunision

It's got little to do with Pink Floyd and a lot to do with being a teenager. Ask me how I know. Three hundred my just be the start. You may be hit with a curfew fine, trespass after dark, controlled substance and fines for things that you didn't even know were illegal. There's a law for every occurrence and occasion. Hopefully he'll learn from this. Good luck.

It's got little to do with Pink Floyd and a lot to do with being a teenager. Ask me how I know. Three hundred my just be the start. You may be hit with a curfew fine, trespass after dark, controlled substance and fines for things that you didn't even know were illegal. There's a law for every occurrence and occasion. Hopefully he'll learn from this. Good luck.

Yeah, and they might be $74 in this neck of the woods! :) - And what's wrong with Dead Gerry's Music? Heck, I'd worry more about eatin 'srooms out of road apples than some good old acoustic pickin'!:jd: