Baileytown and other Cumberland county sites

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know a lot of sites in the millville game reserve out around menantico and peaslees and a real old trailess graveyard out by dorchester.anybody down in theis southwestern corner of the barrens wants to learn some new sites.
what I"d like to learn is how to age these ruins.I know sandstone foundations are the earliest.then cut stone from other places.then various grades of red brick and concrete but what are the dates?I want to know how old sites are by looking at them.Any sites on how to do this?
Al

B

BarryC

I was with Renee and some others recently and we went to the Cumberland Furnace and Cumberland Forge sites and also another site associated with Cumberland, maybe a sawmill site. I forget. These are all in Peasley, if I remember correctly.
I don't know of any website telling how to date sites by looking at them. But when I see certain kinds of materials, I take a guess, like you mentioned- sandstone, brick, cinder block and so on.
I like to explore all over the Barrens, from north to south, and from west to east. It's all of interest to me. And this site makes it more fun.
Barry
manumuskin said:
I know a lot of sites in the millville game reserve out around menantico and peaslees and a real old trailess graveyard out by dorchester.anybody down in theis southwestern corner of the barrens wants to learn some new sites.
what I"d like to learn is how to age these ruins.I know sandstone foundations are the earliest.then cut stone from other places.then various grades of red brick and concrete but what are the dates?I want to know how old sites are by looking at them.Any sites on how to do this?
Al

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
I was with Renee and some others recently and we went to the Cumberland Furnace and Cumberland Forge sites and also another site associated with Cumberland, maybe a sawmill site. I forget. These are all in Peasley, if I remember correctly.

Close! Both of the forges are in Peaslee, but we visited only one of the forges. The furnace and gristmill are on Nature Conservancy property.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Al,
I don't know of any database that breaks it down that simply--sounds like a good rainy day project!
But if you are looking for real, bonafide research materials, this link is extremely thorough--through Berkeley and it will guide you to professional journals and bulletins, etc. A must for any history buff that likes to do his/her own research. Not so great if you're looking for quick easy answers.

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ENVI/cult.html

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Renee,
what would be the names of these forges in Peaslees?Would one have been at Bennets Mill.I know that area well.Lots of cellar holes and earthworks and such.Lot of stuff out near Hunters mill too.some cellar holes and such.I love cellar holes ,dont know why.probably as close as I can get to a cave in south jersey.pasadena was great:)
Al