Baileytown

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hey drb! welcome aboard. I see were about in the same age bracket,are you local to the area?I remember them cleaning that dump area up,I never knew it was a dump area till they dug it up and fenced it off.I wondered what those diaqgonal cuts were for,you say they were made to find ordinance in the woods?Did they ride the cuts with some kind of powerful metal detector?Made quite a mess whatever the reason.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Welcome drb!

Al, they are some impressive ruins. Thanks for posting them.

Guy

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Al,
My dad and I explored the dump a few years back before they fenced it--he's the person who actually told me about it. Yes, all of those diagonal cuts - that's what they were, the federal government actually did the cleanup and my understanding is that it was pretty thorough.
As far as being local, yes, in fact, you know me. :)
Cheers!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Welcome drb!

Al, they are some impressive ruins. Thanks for posting them.

Guy
The first ruins may not be there long.It's on sand plant property snd they have just cleared more woods near there and there are flags around and behind the ruins and as I cut through the woods it was following fresh man sign,broken branches shoulder and head height off the ground,white and fresh with patches of fresh sand on the ground almost as if someone had a shovel and was digging test samples?
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Your back! the pic that is.Who is Ted?Is Ted your husband? Don't believe I've met him.You've probably been to all these Baileytown pics so far.I have found a bunch more not shown on the Baileytown site that are in the game reserve but I had to use old aerials to find them.One has a good size section of wall left with a timber sticking out of a hole in the rock wall.Many out near Shaws Mill pond.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I look around and see that many individuals at 54 can't even hardly walk so I don't feel so bad. I have been lucky with my health so far.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I look around and see that many individuals at 54 can't even hardly walk so I don't feel so bad. I have been lucky with my health so far.

Guy
Your definitely in better shape then I am Guy and I must say you do take the heat better:) I don't know how I ever made it out of the desert to tell you the truth and my job is hot as heck too.I'm much better cold adapted.

drb

Dec 27, 2011
I notice you have taken Elvis's birthday oly the King would be 77 next month if he still be with us,about as likely as Sasquatch....Thats from another thread:)
:) My claim to fame....I'd prefer if it were the same as, say, Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan, but not much I can do about that.
Yes, Ted Gordon - more like a second dad than a husband. I think you may have met - or at least seen Gerry in the vehicle while we were traveling I think...I think I remember hearing through the grapevine that you thought he was someone else when we were out botanizing once)
I have seen a number of Baileytown remnants but far from all of them, I'm sure. I'd bet my bottom dollar you've seen more.
Year before last I went out around this time and visited a lot of them based on the topo but not the aerial. Lois Abbott (husband owns Winfields Restaurant) is a Bailey - that's her Baileytown website. Some of the images/maps on there are from Don Hartman, remember him? Heck of a good guy. We went to visit him when she was putting up her site and he was generous enough to allow her to scan them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Don would be Slospokes right? I still have the maps he gave me and was surprised to find them on the site.I assumed that was where he got the maps,now i find it's the other way around.
I do think I saw Ted if he was the one in the car looking at a map next to Hunters Mill that day.I didn't see you in the car but talked to you later.I was stone hunting near Belleplain and I forget what you called about but I remember where i was,just off Weatherby road and several miles from you at the time.I remember places very well but other details sometimes escape me.I do remember he had a big white beard.I didn't hear him go Ho Ho Ho though :)