Bald eagles in south Jersey?

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
Hi All. I want to say I'm new but I've been lurking for quite awhile.

My family and I moved to SJ the beginning of the year and I have to say I was quite disappointed my husband (who is from the area) knows basically nothing about the history of where he grew up. I was lucky enough to find this site.

In any case, I looked out my window while eating lunch today and saw what I thought was a turkey vulture. It was not, turned out to be a beautiful bald eagle. I've never seen one out in the wild before and am wondering how common they are in SJ.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I saw one today at Stafford Forge... I could not get close enough for a good pic. I usually see them once a year.

watermark.php

watermark.php

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
Thank you and thank you for link.

I was a little disappointed to be leaving suburbia but am very excited that my kids are getting an opportunity to see things they most like would not have at our previous residence.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cumberland Cnty hosts an eagle festival each winter, usually around the first weekend in February. It is held in Mauricetown.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Salem County has a nice size population of bald eagles, i see them atleast once a week some times a few times a week, we also have a ton of deer coyotes and i saw a black bear last September. Not to mention Fox and wild turkey. Some people claim we also have bobcats here, i have not personally seen one but have been told by a few people they have seen them.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Saw one today flying over Lake Absegami at Bass River S.P. at tree top height. No pictures possible. Was busy teaching a bunch of little darlings how to canoe.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They are on the move. Now is the time, migration winds down in December. One of the best places in the country to see Bald Eagles and just about every other raptor that migrates thru this area, is at Cape May Point SP where the annual Hawk Watch takes place by the Cape May Bird Observatory & NJ Audubon. There is a watching platform staffed with naturalists, my son used to work it. A great day trip with the kids, some of my closest encounters came down there, pick a day that has been preceded by northwest winds. I'm headed down there on Sunday as the numbers have been very good with our recent winds.

The link is for Hawk Watch info, Bald Eagles total for the month are over 230.

http://www.birdcapemay.org/hawkwatch.shtml

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
We have a ton of deer and wild turkeys, usually in the field next to us. On average there are at least 20 deer and 40-50 turkey. My husband saw a coyote about a mile away but I've been lucky enough not to see that yet. I've also gotten educated on ticks pretty fast.

I spent a lot of my childhood at Hawk Mountain in pa and just hiking around the mt's of pa. My husband does not share my love of nature and with 3 young kids, it makes hard to get out.

The pictures aren't that great, I just grabbed my camera and started shooting.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's!

Make sure you have some of your "love of nature" rub off on your kids. Looks like hubby may be a lost cause :D Men!

Guy

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I think that your pictures are very good considering that the eagle keeps us humans at a distance. The best I could do was a blurry overhead shot of one while in a boat on the Delaware. I have spent some time on Hawk Mt and I have some nice pictures from there.

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
Thanks!

Make sure you have some of your "love of nature" rub off on your kids. Looks like hubby may be a lost cause :D Men!

Heh, yeah I was totally duped by his rugged outdoorsman like appearance. It's all good.

I'm lucky enough to stay home with my kids and am rediscovering my my loves and hobbies, they'll have no choice but to love the outdoors:D

wanderlust

Mar 4, 2009
South Jersey
I used to really enjoy going with my dad to Hawk Mt. I haven't been in a good 10-15 years but it was way too crowded for my liking the last time I went.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
saw a bald eagle flying over downtown vineland yesterday.come down to cumberland county if you like eagles.the last 10 or 15 years we've been loaded with em.last year had one drop down and kill a squirrel in my yard while the whole family which was outside at a birtday party watched.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
saw a bald eagle flying over downtown vineland yesterday.

There is an active nest on the Maurice River downstream of Millville, used to be 2, until some idiot cut down the tree that held the other one. Never heard if they caught the lumberjack wannabe's.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is an active nest on the Maurice River downstream of Millville, used to be 2, until some idiot cut down the tree that held the other one. Never heard if they caught the lumberjack wannabe's.

yes the nest thats left is a mile and a half from my house and i suspect the squirrel killer originated from that nest.theirs eaglets in it every spring