bald eagles

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Just wanted to share some brief bald eagle sightings in the past month:

About 1 month ago I spotted a Bald Eagle soaring above a farm field near the Municipal Complex in Burlington Twp on Little Oxmead Rd.

On Monday evening I spotted a Bald Eagle soaring high above the train bridge on Mantua Creek in Paulsboro (where the train derailed and crashed into the creek).

Then yesterday I spotted what I believe is the same Bald Eagle soaring down the street in front of my house (in Paulsboro). He suddenly swooped down and grabbed a squirrel in the front yard of the house across the street. He flew up and around my house where he disappeared out of sight to feast on his supper.

Call me simple but 3 Bald Eagle sightings in 1 month is pretty cool to me.

Reactions: bobpbx

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Enjoy. If you want to see more spend some time along the bayshore in cumberland county. If you want to see a mind blowing congregation. head down to the conwingo dam, sometimes over a hundred are present.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Call me simple but 3 Bald Eagle sightings in 1 month is pretty cool to me.

Very cool :D The adults are busy now getting food for the young'uns. They will be doing this for some time until they normally kick them out sometime in June/July.

Lots of them out your way. From one nesting pair in 1970 to over 80 today, a great comeback. A link to the most recent Bald Eagle survey with some good info, conducted by NJF&W;

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/downloads/cwnj_367.pdf

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Stiz, check out the short section of the other Oxmead Road just off of Jacksonville Road. A great area for hawks and owls. Both sides of the road are grasslands and woody wetlands. The one section that is fenced in (it is posted as a preserve) is a great spot for American Kestrel and Peregrine. Farther down by the blinking light I saw several owls in the twilight hunting the grasslands across from the church.

As for eagles, I always see them by Oswego and in the orchard across from Allen's Feed in Tabernacle. They like to perch in the large trees next to the white farm house just up the street from Allen's.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
use to see alot of kesterels on the wires along Caranza by Allens Feed, been a while since I saw one though. Saw a barn owl a few years back by oxmead. Its great to see bald eagles doiong so well, down in woodstown i see them constantly while golfing.

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Thought I caught a glimpse on an Eagle around Chestnut Neck yesterday morning on my way to work over the Parkway. Is this a known nesting area?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The closest nest site would be Galloway.

Do you think I saw that eagle or possibly an unknown one?

I have no idea, they do fly good distances in search of food and there is no migration going on now. If you can, get a good look at any bands, then give the Endangered species folks a call at Tuckahoe WMA with the info. Any chix will be fledging soon. The parents remain in the area of the nest year round. If your interested in finding out more, try to attend the Mauricetown eagle festival held each year in early February.

http://www.co.cumberland.nj.us/filestorage/159/2013_winter_eagle_festival_flyer.pdf

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Almost missed this guy the other day while out fishing. He was high enough to easily go unnoticed, but I usually glance up every few minutes in search of birds. The pic was from my phone and is pretty terrible, but you can make out the white head and tail.

Attachments

• Picture 002.png
    Picture 002.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 247

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
there are active nests in galloway, port republic along Nacote creek, wading river above chips folly and mullica above lower bank so there are plenty of birds around

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
.... If you want to see a mind blowing congregation. head down to the conwingo dam, sometimes over a hundred are present.

I've become accustomed to seeing them in my paddles along the bayshore. We even get them here at the sewer plant. But I've never seen anything like the numbers at Conowingo. I was paddling there wednesday evening and was utterly stunned by the number of eagles. Its good to see!