Bamber to Island Beach

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Hey everyone! Its been a while, I know.

Curious if anyone has experience kayaking the path mentioned in the title (Bamber Lake to Island Beach SP). I've been tossing around the idea for years and may have a go at it coming up soon. But . . is it even possible? I'd have to pass under the parkway and I assume there are other potential obstacles. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Last edited:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Did it once back in the 80s. Glad I did, as to cross it off bucket list, but never, EVER again. Downstream of Bamber, was doing more dragging over logs than paddling, in some cases not sure where the river was under me. Unless someone has cleared it in recent years, Dover Forge access, marked by sign on Dover Rd, is most upstream I'd put in. Not cutting all that much mileage off of a Bamber put in, and less grueling, unless you are a paddling sadist! No obstacle paddling under the Parkway but there is a portage over a concrete damn within Double Trouble SP. A pretty long day if crossing the bay to Island Beach though. If you are indeed up to it, start early.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaretownMike
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
@Hewey and I paddled from Bamber several years back. As German said, it is tough going. Definitely don't do it in a canoe. The channel is anastomosing, shallow, and chock-full of fallen tree trunks and limbs.

Reactions: Hewey

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Thanks everyone! I've definitely done various incarnations of a trip between bamber and DTSP, and I'm reminded now that cedar creek isn't always super smooth to get through.

Here is where you want to put in. Definitely start as early as you can. Personally, I'd divide the trip with an overnight stealth camp.
Also considering a start at that throw-in down past the power-cut east of DTSP instead to cut a bit of distance off. Though realistically its probably still too much for a single day (for me at least).

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Thanks everyone! I've definitely done various incarnations of a trip between bamber and DTSP, and I'm reminded now that cedar creek isn't always super smooth to get through.

Also considering a start at that throw-in down past the power-cut east of DTSP instead to cut a bit of distance off. Though realistically its probably still too much for a single day (for me at least).
I take the kids and the dog swimming to the dam at Bamber 2-3 times a week. There are defiantly some blow-downs visible right there. We also frequent the landing before Dover Forge. There are some obstacles there to get thru too. Even when you put in at DF canoe access it is still pretty wild. I canoed once from DF all the way to Berkeley Island. It was a long day and as other people suggested I would never do it again. Starting at the power lines is good, just a easy portage over the dam after Ore Pond.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler