Barred Owl

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was out in the field yesterday observing a hatchling hognose snake alongside a trail. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a bird land on a branch directly behind me by about 15 feet. I turned around and it was a nice adult barred owl, he then flew across the trail to face me about 10 feet away 15 feet up a tree. He seemed as interested in me as I was in him, I moved the hognose under some roots and watched the owl for about a half hour. During that time he fell asleep for a bit, did the 180 head turn, scratched himself, pooped and then in a quick second hopped around and flew down on something alongside the trail. He didn't catch anything and flew back up in the tree, after about five minutes another owl called and he took off. It was probably one of the coolest things I've seen in the field, it trumped the rattlesnake eating a chipmunk that I saw the same day, that says alot. First owl I've ever seen, of course I didn't have my canon 40d on me, only a iphone camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
Reactions: noboat and joc

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice encounter! Thanks for letting us see the owl.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is really amazing how well he blends in with that tree.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I once saw the silouette of a GHO on a telephone pole alongside 55. People were suprised I've never seen an owl before but I don't go searching for them, this was totla luck.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
saw a barred about eight years ago just south of red oak grove.flew across the dirt road as I was headed south toward 72.he landed in a tree 50 ft from the road and 20 ft off the ground.I scoped him for sometime with binoculars.