bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
IMG_0483alts.jpg

cedar, somewhere

Bill

edit: I notice, above, that I've caused Bob's and George's posts to "x"-up. This happened when I relocated a couple of photos in a different album. Sorry, guys.

That is another great one! I think Bill, that you should find a good printer, frame some of these, and get yourself a booth at one of the festivals (Whitesbog, Wells Mills, Batsto), just to have some fun and see what happens. Better yet, get about a dozen of them together and to see if there is a market (with little risk of loading up with 50 of them and not selling them), have a group that already has a booth sell them and you give them a percentage of the profits. I have a conservation group in mind, but I'd have to consult with them.

PS: the worst thing you can do is overprice them at first, wait till you get famous. Go easy.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Wow! These are awesome photos. I agree, you could most surely make $$ with some of these. What kind of camera do you use? I assume it is an SLR and not some little digital point and shoot. Anyway, these are awesome, I would buy them!

Thanks for the feedback.

I do use an SLR (Canon Rebel XT), but, to be honest, a majority of the photos I've taken would have brought me the same results if I had used a point and shoot. It actually makes more sense to take a point and shoot in the barrens (weight, size, convenience, and less of a financial loss if a swamp happens to eat one's camera for lunch). Some of my objectives, though ... especially the low-light or night goals ... require long shutter exposures, and this is where the SLR (plus tripod) comes in handy.

Bob: Your suggestion, both privately and here on the forum, have inspired me to upload several barren photos to a commercial printer's Web site (Snapfish), but I haven't ordered any prints yet. When I do, and if I like how they look on paper, I would certainly entertain thoughts of sharing prints with others. At this stage (and I'm sure everybody here can appreciate this), simply being out there "framing" is the reward.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
baldeagles.jpg

A couple of bald eagles perched just outside my back window this afternoon. I ran for my camera and rushed off a few clicks. The pair must have a nest nearby; I see them in the area often. My zoom lens wasn't handy (drat!), so I settled for a few relatively wide-angled exposures. This one was taken just as the male prepared to take flight over a lake (I made him nervous); his gal immediately followed. What beautiful birds.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
My plans tonight of visiting a few vernal ponds in Wharton, hoping to catch some frog action, resulted in my quickly realizing conditions were much drier than I'd thought they would be. Last year, almost to the date, the same locations were swimming with crooning peepers and toads. Alas, now they're as dry as a bone. Guess we need some rain.

The sandroads were rather crowded, too -- for a late night excursion. At one point I had to pull over on a quite isolated stretch for a convoy of eight trucks. Later, a couple of happy horntooters seemed to be playing a game of hide-and-seek. (Boooooooo...)

I gave up on the frogs, handed the wheel to my friend Al, hopped in the bed of the truck, leaned over the cab, rolled down the road -- and ducked life-threatening branches.

Feeling free ... Quaker Bridge and beyond.

quakerbridges.jpg

IMG_3285s.jpg

IMG_3269s.jpg

IMG_3244s.jpg

Thanks again for looking,

Bill

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Bill, great photos. I've been in the pines at dusk before and it is definitely a different experience. I might try a midnight run some time. I just can't let the dark woods play mind games on me. TOO LATE. GOTTA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bamfer23

Apr 13, 2008
Brick, NJ
Great photos!
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread before, so if it was asked, I apologize...what kind of camera do you use?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Great photos!
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread before, so if it was asked, I apologize...what kind of camera do you use?

No apology necessary. I use a Canon Rebel XT. I take millions of photos with it. Occasionally I get lucky, and those photos get posted here.

Tonight's "nocturnal" project was my first attempt at phrog fotography ... wait. Drat. Fhrog Potagraphy? Double drat! Frogatography? I give up.

A southern leopard frog and two Fowler's toads, one crooning. Handsome devils, all. Be the first to find the spider in one and win a million dollars.

Shaws_Mill_Pond_32s.jpg

Shaws_Mill_Pond_10s.jpg

Shaws_Mill_Pond_28s.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Billbog

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
neato

i always enjoy perusing your photos, the pics of the frogs are expecially neat. I hope to catch a glimpse of some froggies this summer !!! I really want to see a pinebarrens tree frog but im not sure of where and when to go looking for them, would anyone have some suggestions? So far this spring ive seen about a hundred turtles and today in fact gave and I saw some splashing in the water that turned out to be the biggest snapper we have ever seen, scary to say the least since moosey was swimming in the water near the sighting of the turtle. We also spotted a bald eagle who sadly was scared off by an osprey.