Basecamp question

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Trying to find a way to transfer my BaseCamp lists from old PC to new PC. BaseCamp is installed on both. I have tried export/import but on import I just get all waypoints and routes mixed together in one list, not in separate folders as I have on the old PC. Searched online but only found info on transferring between GPS device, nothing about PC to PC. Nothing on GPSFileDepot I could find.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I think you have to selectively import to the appropriate list on your new computer. You could also import them into my collection - unlisted data and then move them to where they belong. I know of no neat way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think you have to selectively import to the appropriate list on your new computer. You could also import them into my collection - unlisted data and then move them to where they belong. I know of no neat way.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Since they are all on the new PC, I'll create the folders and just drag and drop. Thanks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well it should be very straightforward, although I've never tried myself. Use a flash drive to do this on the old computer: http://static.garmincdn.com/basecamp/en/Content/library_backup.htm

Then plug it into the new computer and do this: http://static.garmincdn.com/basecamp/en/Content/library_restoring.htm

Or are you saying that you tried this and it didn't work?

Partially, export/import is how the items were moved, but just the items came over. They were moved in bulk without the folders/lists they were part of, and sit in 'My Collection'. Probably because BaseCamp apparently does not maintain an actual structure, just pointers in the lists. I can understand that; I'm just surprised I could not find anything. Another thing on Win 7 that behaves strangely is the BaseCamp application looks a bit out of focus; maps look fine, but the menus, dropdowns and such are not sharp as they were on my old system. Most likely system related, but the only app that behaves this way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not sure how well this will show up, but the words in the white border looks softer than the words on the map, and over all it seems a bit soft.

155291086.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Basecamp forum is a good place to get help with this kind of thing. The developers are active, help people solve problems and have incorporated many user suggestions into the updates: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp

Personally, I avoid using Basecamp unless I absolutely have to. Definitely not one of my favorite programs. ;)

Thanks for that link Boyd, never knew they had a forum, not listed on the BaseCamp support page of Garmin. I'll give it a try. If nothing, so be it, I don't use it that often to put a lot of effort into it. I'm doing some planning for our trip out to WY and MT this June; at least the software is working. :D I will try the backup/restore you mentioned, can't hurt, I hope. :eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Personally, I avoid using Basecamp unless I absolutely have to. Definitely not one of my favorite programs. ;)

I agree. The problem I have with it is that once Basecamp is chosen on my computer to be the default program to open GPX files, they turn generic and I have a bunch of white icons all over the place that look like many others.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For whomever is interested. All my BC stuff is now on the new PC in BC exactly the way it was on the old PC. The commands to use are 'Backup' using the old system BC, 'Restore' using the new system BC. Terminology strikes again, at least as far as I was taught :D

PITA stuff; tried to use a memory stick to backup to; does not work, BC error message. I backup'd to the old systems HD, then copied the backup file to that same memory stick that couldn't be used to output to, and then ran the new systems BC 'Restore' command using the memory stick as input. Garmin does make thing interesting at times. :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for following up. In other words, my method above was correct, but you cannot directly do the backup to the flash drive?

You were on the money Boyd. Not sure if it is flash drives in general; I was using a 32GB USB memory stick. Did not try any memory cards. I am sure it would work with an XHD as well, but it is strange that it accepts the stick as an input. Sent a message on the forum where I had a thread on this. Perhaps someone will have an explanation.