Bass river construction....

Medictrode

Mar 23, 2008
Hello all. I was wondering what is being done on the bass river near the old oyster shack,about a mile from Viking Yachts.If you go down the access road you will see the tractors lined up,and a plank platform that goes out into the pond that runs off the river.The old trail that took you back to the side of the parkway by the New Gretna exit is a ditch now.Across the "pond" there are more tractors on what appears to be a sand pit in the marsh in google maps.I figured they are running Fiber,but it certainly is tearing up the landscape.Any info would be appreciated....:siren::siren:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hello all. I was wondering what is being done on the bass river near the old oyster shack,about a mile from Viking Yachts.If you go down the access road you will see the tractors lined up,and a plank platform that goes out into the pond that runs off the river.The old trail that took you back to the side of the parkway by the New Gretna exit is a ditch now.Across the "pond" there are more tractors on what appears to be a sand pit in the marsh in google maps.I figured they are running Fiber,but it certainly is tearing up the landscape.Any info would be appreciated....:siren::siren:

I saw something similar near New Gretna a few weeks ago. I was just poking around, don't even know how I got where I was, but I ended up going East on the road that has the champaign bottle. Instead of getting on the parkway South I turned left at the last moment and ended up on a bumpy dirt road heading out to the salt marshes. There was a couple big pieces of equipment parked next to the marsh by a plank platforrm. I figured the green heads would be murder if I got out, so I turned around and left.

Medictrode

Mar 23, 2008
Yeah,thats exactly where I am referring to.You made a smart choice in staying away from the green heads,its crazy down there.I have been going to this spot since I was a kid,and I hope they don't tear up the landscape much more than it already is..Thanks for the reply...:siren:

BambamNJ

Scout
Sep 14, 2008
Waterford, NJ
What I've heard... and this sounds a bit crazy... is that they are dredging up the area to restore the marshlands there. Supposedly that area had been used for fill when they were building the parkway. There is another area further up north where marshlands are being disturbed and I was told if an area gets disturbed by DOT in one area that they have to restore an equal amount of marshland in the other area... doesn't make much sense cause whatever had been there was already overtaken by Mother Nature and didn't need any help!