Bass River Fire

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A cell just went through Hammonton, but it was moving pretty fast so probably not much rain.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 4.44.38 PM.png

I went out for a walk, to wait for the storm in the woods. Trees started whipping around pretty wild in the wind so I headed back and got a little wet as the rain started. Turned out to only be a little isolated sprinkle. The storm is actually rotating in a way that looks like the heaviest part will miss us, but the forecast says potential for heavy rain exists until around 9:00PM.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For me.. I would say ....or not. However, my track record has not been good.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We got enough to wet the ground here and no more, I'd guess 1/10 inch or less - hardly anything in my wheelbarrow this morning. Did a short drive through Peaslee, wasn't enough to put any water into the dry puddles although it did help with the dusty roads (but they will quickly dry out).

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
On Saturday I walked thru the bass river fire area entering at Allen Road. Quite a hot burn, already saw signs of life coming back in, but also saw the effects of fire. Will be exploring much more there over the coming months. Did see three cooked box turtles that were about 20 feet from a water source and didn’t make it. Also saw a female nighthawk on her eggs and a live box turtle.

Attachments

• IMG_5013.jpeg
    IMG_5013.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5005.jpeg
    IMG_5005.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5015.jpeg
    IMG_5015.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 85

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Seems hard to believe.
It’s not hard to believe! I did the job 26 years full time and a total of 30 years including part time. It’s drought conditions and the turf is extremely dry to the dirt. The past storms with lightning have had minimal rainfall. I have seen fires come out of a lightning strike 3 days later when the forest dries after minimal rainfall. Plus the Firewardens are trained in origin and cause investigation as I was as well. The NJFFS is the best Wildland Firefighting Agency in the Country.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It’s not hard to believe! I did the job 26 years full time and a total of 30 years including part time. It’s drought conditions and the turf is extremely dry to the dirt. The past storms with lightning have had minimal rainfall. I have seen fires come out of a lightning strike 3 days later when the forest dries after minimal rainfall. Plus the Firewardens are trained in origin and cause investigation as I was as well. The NJFFS is the best Wildland Firefighting Agency in the Country.
I actually thought the Flatiron fire might have been caused by lightning. The day of the fire I pulled up the past 24 hrs of lightning strikes in the area. It did show one near the fire but about a 1/2 mile away to the south. I figured the it could have been multiple strikes at the same time or just a bit off. Those storms that evening were very dry too.