Batona Question(s)

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
This past weekend a couple friends and I were hiking the Batona from Batsto to 679 and somewhere between swamp above Bulltown and Washington Road we discovered that the trail actually split. We thought it was a little strange and wondered which was the correct trail, the north trail or the south trail?
Anyone familiar with where I'm talking about?

My other question concerns the last leg for us from 679 to Coal Rd. I discovered that sneakers are the most comfortable thing for me but I'm a little worried about how wet the trail is in this section. Can anyone tell me if I'll be okay wearing sneakers on this section?
Thanks for your help.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
The north and south sections are both correct - odd I know. I believe the area you are referring to is near the duck pond where the trail turns right off the dirt road through the woods then returns to the road. I noticed this during a recent hike on the trail. I am guessing the section through the woods is a detour for times when the road may be flooded.

Regarding the next section, it's not too wet. Hiking boots would be preferable but you should do alright with sneakers. There is a section just before Martha where the road is usually a large puddle. At Beaver Branch the trail may be flooded. At Arnold's Branch the trail may be flooded. You can still get around these sections.

The big concern may be at Ives Lake. There was an earthen berm holding back the lake which has broken so the road the trail follows is completely flooded. To get past this section, you have to walk along the earthen berm on the opposite side of the road - makeshift bridges (boards which are not solidly placed) have been constructed over the streams.

The last leg of the trail follows Stage Road - take caution in this area as you walk along the side of the road and cross on road bridges with no discernable shoulder. Also parking is non-existant at the very end of the trail - you could park either at the ranger station or on the dirt road along Stage Road.

Hope you enjoy your hike! Let me know how it goes. :)

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
You pegged it right on the money TO. Nice little duck pond where the trail splits. Thanks for the heads up on how wet the next section is.

One other question while I have your attention, sneaks cut it on the Mullica River Trail?

Thanks,
Jay

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is Bob's photo of me at the flooded section on the Ives Branch. This is what you will have to walk through unless you walk the edges which you can't see in this photo. Even then it is a little tough to do without getting wet.

watermark.php

Guy

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I thought that's the area TO was describing. I have some waders but I know I don't want to wear them for 8 miles. I'll see if they fit over my prosthetic and if they do, maybe I'll pack them in.
Thanks for the pic Guy.

Jay

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Batona Done

You gotta love mother nature. If you go out and aren't ready for something, she can sense it and lets you know you weren't ready. She was obviously watching when I took the poncho from my pack and left it at home.
She gave me a warning at the bridge near Martha's Furnace with a quick shot of rain but she saved her best for Ive's Lake.
Good old Ma nature opened the heavens and dumped a lake on me as I walked the berm and boards. I was drenched before I got halfway across. Fortunately though, it only rained hard from the lake until Stage Rd.
All in all though, it was a fine finish to the Batona. Nowhere else I would have rather been except under a poncho maybe.
Thanks for all the great info.