Batona Trail hike

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
the title says it all.. I want to hike the entire thing ! (before it gets too buggy).. what's the best way to do this ? i'd prefer (b/c of life's inconveniences) to do it as several long single day outings. anyone interested ? i've never hiked a yard of it before. - Bob

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I have hiked from Caranzza to Apple Pine hill more then a few times, It's a very nice section with the foot bridges and elevation changes with Tea Time Hill along the way.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
That's how I did it, several one day hikes usually covering anywhere from 6-10 miles at a time. We started at Ong's hat and are going to finish the last 8 miles this weekend.
My favorite parts so far have been any section that takes me close to water. I especially liked the short section from Evan's bridge to 679, where we will continue from Saturday, weather permitting.
Good luck with your hike. Wear comfortable shoes if you start at Ong's Hat. The trail is pretty dry for a long way.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Hi Bob,

I discovered the Batona Trail 5 years ago and set goal to hike it end-to-end 100 times. So far I have hiked it 35 times.

Unfortunately you're probably already too late in the season for bugs. Chiggers shouldn't be much of a problem just yet, but the ticks are definitely active now, with the exception being an unusually cold spring day when they tend to go dormant again. If you're going to do it, my recommendation would be to treat your shoes and pants with permethrin and carry some 100% deet with you as a back-up. When you walk through a section where you rub against the underbrush, check your pants frequently for ticks so you can knock them off of you before they have a chance to get inside your clothes.

With a few exceptions, the Batona Trail is marked a lot better today than it was when I first started hiking it, but it's still very easy to walk off the trail because there are many fire lines that intersect with it. So try and keep aware of the pink blazes. If you walk 5 minutes without seeing a pink blaze you've probably wandered off the trail and should backtrack your steps. I think I hiked it 15 times before I finally stopped accidentally wandering onto fire lines. LOL

I usually hike the Batona in the following round trip sections. Cut the mileage estimates in half if you're only going one way.

Coal Road - Evans Bridge (approx 17 miles)

Evans Bridge - Basto (approx 18 1/2 miles)

Basto - Lower Forge (approx 14 miles)

Lower Forge - Carranza Memorial (approx 10 1/2 miles)

Carranza Memorial - Rt 563 (approx 17 miles)

Rt 563 - Brendan Byrne Park office (approx 11.5 miles)

Brendan Byrne Park office - Ongs Hat (Approx 10 miles)

There are a lot of opportunities for shorter hikes on the Batona Trail too.

Good luck!

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
the bugs are alraedy out in swarms. I walked down goodwater rd yesterday and every 30 feet were huge patches of nats and other bugs

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
My buddy and I finished the trail today in heavy rain. That always keeps the bugs down but can be a little uncomfortable at times.
One thing we had a problem with was that we didn't have a map and when we got to Stage road, we thought that was it. We saw the pink marks going on so we followed them to Coal road but didn't know that was the Coal Rd. There was another trail across the street that was pink but luckily, a couple rangers told us we were done.
There needs to be some sort of marking to tell you this is the Batona trailhead.
By the way, you can get trail maps at Batsto and at the fire tower near 72.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I hiked about 2+ miles in from the trail head just after the campground across from Caranazza Mem towards Apple Pie Hill with my son today. It was a last minute adventure. We by-passed the road piece after the camp. Started just before the 3 foot bridges on the road there

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I've done 15-20 miles in one day with no blisters, although with all the walking I wera my shoes out fast!. Prob a city slicker wearing dress shoes.:hist101:

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I hiked about 2+ miles in from the trail head just after the campground across from Caranazza Mem towards Apple Pie Hill with my son today. It was a last minute adventure. We by-passed the road piece after the camp. Started just before the 3 foot bridges on the road there

This might be the most beautiful section of the trail. I like the section it sounds like you bypassed (by the camp), though, too -- as I keep poking in through the brush there to take in different perspectives of Skit Branch, which spreads out in fine fashion there.

Bill

IMG_0394s1.jpg

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Maybe next time we park in the campground and go from there, he is determined to make it to the fire tower the next outing. It was looking like rain and the temp dropped real fast the last time we went.

Mr.Coz

Apr 29, 2008
Recently did the 10 miles from ong's Hat to 72. Then did the 17 miles from 72 to Quaker Bridge. Hoping to start at the bridge and do another good hike south from there soon.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Recently did the 10 miles from ong's Hat to 72. Then did the 17 miles from 72 to Quaker Bridge. Hoping to start at the bridge and do another good hike south from there soon.

Very impressive Mr. Coz. I still laugh at myself for only doing 4 miles each time out on my first two stretches of the Batona. Sounds like you are flying through. Remember to stop and check out the beauty of the pines along the way.

Jay