Batona Trail hike

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I can't imagine doing the trail in a single day. That's quite an accomplishment. The first time I walked it, I was a whippersnapper and thought I was doing great by walking the length in four trips.

Bill

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Great workout!

Hiking the entire Batona trail in one day is indeed an accomplishment. But, it seems that like is more a form of exercise than a hike. For me it's more the journey than the destination, but to each their own. I do admit that I would like to be able to walk/run this far in one day! :colbert:

Mar 10, 2008
Hiking the entire Batona trail in one day is indeed an accomplishment. But, it seems that like is more a form of exercise than a hike. For me it's more the journey than the destination, but to each their own. I do admit that I would like to be able to walk/run this far in one day! :colbert:

It definitely is a good form of excersize, and personal goal setting, discipline, etc... Kind of in the same class as people who try to set speed records for thru hiking the AT and PCT. When I hike I find myself naturally alternating between zoning out and walking faster, and taking it easy and enjoying the surroundings. I personally like both the excersize and the rejuvinative effects that hiking gives and wouldn't like to forego one for the other.

On the other hand, if I were going out for a quick 50 mile workout, what better place to do it that the batona.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Batona

We drove all through there recently. It's very pretty in there but the only wildlife I saw were a bunch of cub scouts. :D I tried to find out what the rules were for bringing my dogs but found nothing.

Can anyone shed some light on what the pet policies are? Is this area pretty dog friendly? I do clean up after them if they do what bears do.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Can anyone shed some light on what the pet policies are? Is this area pretty dog friendly? I do clean up after them if they do what bears do.

The only things listed on the Batona Trail map published by the NJ Park Service as prohibited on the Batona Trail are horses and mountain bikes.

I have hiked the trail end to end 36 times and have seen plenty of people walking their dogs. I'm not aware of any prohibitions against dogs on the trail, nor have I ever come across anybody on the trail who's ever had a problem with a dog being there. I do believe there may be restrictions against dogs being kept overnight at campsites.

There is a large open field where the trail meets with Batsto. That seems to be a popular spot for people to run their dogs.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
when hiking the batona are there many places to draw water and how far are the campsites spaced out? got a map on the way but there is nothing better than first hand.

WATER: Heading north to south (ongs hat to stage road) you can find tap water or well water at the following locations:

Brendan Byrne State Park office - tap water (5 miles from ongs hat)

Pakim pond - well water and tap water (8 miles from ongs hat)

Batona camp - well water (19 miles from ongs hat)

Batsto - tap water (32 miles from ongs hat)

There are some streams and ponds located along the trail, but I personally would not drink that water. There are a lot of roads that intersect the Batona Trail, so if you don't feel like carrying much water with you, another option would be to cache some bottled water along your route.

CAMPSITES:

Brendan Byrne State Park camp sites (6-7 miles from Ongs hat)

Batona Camp (19 miles from ongs hat)

Lower Forge Camp (25 miles from ongs hat)

You are required to obtain a permit from the park offices in Batsto or Brendan Byrne State Park to camp at Batona or Lower Forge campsites. Sometimes they'll give me a permit at the Bass River State Forest office, then other times they'll tell me I have to go to Batsto to get a permit. Permits cost $1.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I think the best way to do the trail Is starting south at Bass River. Start early enough to pick up the permit to camp at lower forge at Batsto and also pick up some lunch from the hot dog vendor there.At this point you will also be able to refill your water containers.. By midday the next day you can refill water again at the campsite after you cross Carranza Road.Then again later in the day at the pump at Pakim pond. Using this method I was able to carry less gear , 15 pounds total in August of 2006 ..A couple suggestions to ward off blisters is to wear trail runners, and gaiters.. Also dump out the sand every couple miles or so.

ChrisM

Nov 27, 2008
How much does the sand slow you down, in the winter? Based on that Batona in a day website, it looks like they were able to do 3+ miles per day. I am thinking about trying to crank out the trail in 2 days in December.

ChrisM

Nov 27, 2008
Also, does anyone know about the tap water sources during the winter, and if they are running?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How much does the sand slow you down, in the winter?

I can say that in the winter when it has been below freezing and especially after a rain, I can drive my car on almost any sandy road that I always get stuck in. The sand actually gets hard allowing me to not sink in. It also makes it much easier to walk on.

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Water

How much does the sand slow you down, in the winter? Based on that Batona in a day website, it looks like they were able to do 3+ miles per day. I am thinking about trying to crank out the trail in 2 days in December.
you will have tap water at Brendan Byrne State Forest, Batsto and Bass river. there is a pump at Batona camp that should work. i would carry Aqua Mira or a Sawyer water filter (super walmart sells both of them). you will pass alot of water sources for filtering.

25 mi a day is doable. short winter days make it rough. even in the spring the sand isnt that bad, you can walk around it.

Hike Safe and have Fun
Karl

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Sandy areas really aren't a problem. I think the worst spot for sand is maybe a 1/10th mile inclined stretch as you're approaching Apple Pie Fire Tower from the south, but you can easily walk around it. I find horse manure to be more of a problem than sand near Carranza. GRRRRR....LOL

A good option for doing the entire Batona Trail in two days is to cache some bottled water along your route where the trail crosses roads, then cache your tent, sleeping bag, dinner & day 2 food, and all of your camping gear at Lower Forge campground, which is the halfway point. Then you can hike very light with a day pack. When I do that, I put all my camping gear in dry sacks and hide it well under brush and leaves in an area not normally travelled by people on foot, and I always leave a note on my dry sacks just in case somebody finds them explaining that this equipment was left here by a hiker whose safety is depending on it being here when he arrives tonight.

6 feet over

Dec 6, 2008
Delco, PA
Sandy areas really aren't a problem. I think the worst spot for sand is maybe a 1/10th mile inclined stretch as you're approaching Apple Pie Fire Tower from the south, but you can easily walk around it. I find horse manure to be more of a problem than sand near Carranza. GRRRRR....LOL

A good option for doing the entire Batona Trail in two days is to cache some bottled water along your route where the trail crosses roads, then cache your tent, sleeping bag, dinner & day 2 food, and all of your camping gear at Lower Forge campground, which is the halfway point. Then you can hike very light with a day pack. When I do that, I put all my camping gear in dry sacks and hide it well under brush and leaves in an area not normally travelled by people on foot, and I always leave a note on my dry sacks just in case somebody finds them explaining that this equipment was left here by a hiker whose safety is depending on it being here when he arrives tonight.

You idea sounds like a good plan to travel light. I however, could not enjoy my trip knowing my comfort and safety was dependant on someone deciding to not steal my gear if they found it.

Thieves have ruined more than one outdoor experience for me, and unfortunately they have changed my view of my fellow outdoorsmen. I try to avoid leaving myself open to another disappointment.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I've always wanted to do the whole Batona Trail and never thougt of cacheing equiptment, sounds like i now have a new quest to undertake!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
You idea sounds like a good plan to travel light. I however, could not enjoy my trip knowing my comfort and safety was dependant on someone deciding to not steal my gear if they found it.

Thieves have ruined more than one outdoor experience for me, and unfortunately they have changed my view of my fellow outdoorsmen. I try to avoid leaving myself open to another disappointment.

I pack my stuff in dry bags then conceal it very well under branches and pine needles in a spot off the trail where it's very unlikely somebody will be walking. I pick some place where the brush is so thick, people would naturally walk around the area to avoid it.

I've been pretty fortunate and have never had any of my cached gear or unattended gear at a campsite stolen. I find most most outdoorsman to be pretty decent people. Two even saved my life once. But I do think it's a good idea to avoid camping in areas where people congregate to party on weekends. That's where you're most likely to run into problems.

My biggest fear when I backpack is not having my gear stolen, it's leaving my vehicle parked overnight at a secluded trail head where its an easy target for thieves and vandals.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Impossible!!!

I've always wanted to do the whole Batona Trail and never thougt of cacheing equiptment, sounds like i now have a new quest to undertake!

Tom---I do not think the technology exists enabling you to safely bury and keep edible a gallon of BUG JUICE and 4 full-length WAWA :rofl:tunafish hoagies every 5 miles along the BT!!!!!! LOL !!!! Unless, of course, you run 5 mph along its entire length!!!!!!!:dance: