Batona Trail Topo Map

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of the trail, PPA, in the last newsletter made some claims about mileage along the Batona Trail that seem out of whack. The title is:

Hike the Batona Trail in three 10-mile sections with naturalist John Volpa

They go on to cite these three sections, none of which seems like 10 miles to me. Could be I'm overlooking something:

Ong's Hat to Pakim Pond

Through the new Franklin Parker Preserve section (rt 72 through rt 532),

Route 532 to Carranza Memorial

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Ong to Pakim Office is 9.8
Preserve is 7.1
532 - Memorial is only 6

They all round up to 10, but a hiker never exaggerates miles and time :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I believe there is full coverage of the Batona Trail on my CorePines map for Garmin GPS units. Even if you don't have a Garmin GPS, you can use the map on your computer in Garmin's free Basecamp software. Download it here, full documentation is included and it works on Mac and PCs: core_pines.zip

Download Basecamp from Garmin here. The map is also compatible with Garmin's older Mapsource software: http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

batona.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have a GPX file I captured while hiking the entire Batona Trail including the reroute through Parker. Viewed in Base Camp you can pick off exact distances. Boyd, I may have shared it with you. I would gladly share it here but the "Upload a File" function does not support .gpx.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It has been awhile and unfortunately I don't have any notes on this, but I *think* your track was one of the sources I used for the trail on this map. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a GPX file I captured while hiking the entire Batona Trail including the reroute through Parker. Viewed in Base Camp you can pick off exact distances. Boyd, I may have shared it with you. I would gladly share it here but the "Upload a File" function does not support .gpx.

Ed, can you email that to me?