Batona trail

Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I recently went hiking on the blue marked Batsto village trail and it lead to to a sign. The sign said if I go left, it would be 25 miles on the Batona trail. Has anyone done this recently?? One of my friends said they did it last year and it was heavily overgrown and stuff. I was wondering if its still walkable or not. Or if I would need to bring a machete.
BT17.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I recently went hiking on the blue marked Batsto village trail and it lead to to a sign. The sign said if I go left, it would be 25 miles on the Batona trail. Has anyone done this recently?? One of my friends said they did it last year and it was heavily overgrown and stuff. I was wondering if its still walkable or not. Or if I would need to bring a machete.
View attachment 2409

The Batona trail is clear and maintained.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The actual trail in totality is 50.9 mi long.quaker bridge is approximately the half way point.The whole trail pretty nice excepting a three mile sectoin west of 536 and north of chatworth along Panama road.you basically walking down a dirt road people use as a driveway and then along a blacktop road past houses and blueberry fields.the rest of the trail for the most part is wild except the lat mile at the south end is along a blacktop road to trails end.
Al

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I've noticed that there are a lot of downed trees on the Batona Trail this fall. I'd like to try and clear some, but I know nothing about chain saws. Does anybody know what size I would need to buy and can instruct me on how to cut a tree trunk that's resting 5'-10' above ground without killing myself?

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Leave them be.

I've noticed that there are a lot of downed trees on the Batona Trail this fall. I'd like to try and clear some, but I know nothing about chain saws. Does anybody know what size I would need to buy and can instruct me on how to cut a tree trunk that's resting 5'-10' above ground without killing myself?
these blowdowns keep bikes and cycles off trail. id rather step over them. many other trails are taking the same thoughts. they clear branches and rough up the top with cross cuts so you can step on it and not slip.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does anybody know what size I would need to buy and can instruct me on how to cut a tree trunk that's resting 5'-10' above ground without killing myself?

The best advice I can give you is to reconsider your purchase and your plans.

You might consider joining up as a volunteer with one of the crews from the forest or park service, or club that maintain the trail and learn things the correct and safe way. One club that does maintenance at the link.

http://www.batonahikingclub.org/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

You will get in trouble doing that. Just let them be as the other posts pretty much say.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I always go a bit overboard cautioning those new to chainsaws. I worked for about 6 years as an arborist and developed a healthy respect for the potential devastation a chainsaw can cause. When I had my business I only allowed employees to use them alone after many hours of supervised use and training. Homeowners have fewer training options and normally just plunk down their cash at Home Depot and walk out with a tool capable of shredding their flesh in a blink of an eye. The other reasons already given for not clearing the trail on your own are certainly valid as well.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Alright then, the chain saw is out. I didn't feel like lugging the damn thing around anyway. What are your thoughts on blasting? :)

Climbing over, ducking under, or walking around tree blow downs doesn't bother me. My concern is that by late March walking around those blow downs is going to put me at greater exposure for deer ticks. I'll admit I'm somewhat paranoid about deer ticks because I went through a year of hell with Lyme disease and I don't want to have to go through that again.

I occasionally run into people on the Batona Trail on dirt bikes, and while it is annoying when they come buzzing down a bike restricted trail with an attitude of "Get out of my way or get run over," I find the horses people ride on the Batona Trail near Carranza far more annoying. I can step around the piles of manure during daylight, but there have been a few occasions when I've hiked from Lower Forge to Carranza after dark and ended up stepping in horse s*&t.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Unfortunately ticks are a reality of life in the pines. But if you treat your clothes with Permethrin spray, they won't be much of an issue. I live in the woods and am constantly walking through brush. I have a couple pairs of clothes and shoes that I treat, and honestly I haven't even thought about ticks since I started using it.

Do a search here in the forums. WalMart used to carry it but haven't seen it there recently. But Dicks Sporting Goods should have it, also REI - called "Permethrin Clothing and Gear". BE SURE TO READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. You must treat clothes in advance, never spray it on your body.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Unfortunately ticks are a reality of life in the pines. But if you treat your clothes with Permethrin spray, they won't be much of an issue. I live in the woods and am constantly walking through brush. I have a couple pairs of clothes and shoes that I treat, and honestly I haven't even thought about ticks since I started using it.

Do a search here in the forums. WalMart used to carry it but haven't seen it there recently. But Dicks Sporting Goods should have it, also REI - called "Permethrin Clothing and Gear". BE SURE TO READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. You must treat clothes in advance, never spray it on your body.
i swear by that stuff even for work. i found Duranon's in the http://www.shootersstation.com/ and other local hunting outfitters have it. i also have elastic cord on pant cuffs :).