Batona trail

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Between the permethrin and the Avon stuff, summer in the pines can be a a greaseless & biteless experience :dance:

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Yeah, I concur on the permethrin. I saturate my clothes so heavily with that stuff when I'm out hiking in the summer the FAA has declared the air space above me a no-fly zone. :D

One of the reasons I like hiking in the Carranza area after dark is that you will almost certainly get to hear coyotes. And for the record, I have never stepped in coyote scat. :dance:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Some of you will remember Jim Ungerhajer's post about saturating his clothes on the porch of his home in Frankford before an outing. Guy commented that he could see the permethrin cloud from South Jersey. :)

I'd try to find a link, but it would just make me sad. I hope Jim is happily exploring the Big Woods in the next world today.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haha, no I have seen enough chigger bites on my own ankles. I haven't had such good luck with permethrin against chiggers in the late summer when they get bad. I think it helps, but not as dramatically as it does with ticks.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I was out on the Batona Trail today near Apple Pie Hill (Friday Dec 31) The snow is still too deep to cover many miles. I had considered buying snowshoes last year, but then I thought, "Why bother? How often does it snow more than 6" in south Jersey?" HAH!

Absolutely no worries about ticks or chiggers today. :dance:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The avon stuff works extremely well for them. I'll dig up the name, they have various concoctions. Works really well on Greenies.

Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition. Works great, safe on plastic and leaves your skin smooth as a babies buttocks. Not a bad smell either and you don't need very much.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
and leaves your skin smooth as a babies buttocks. .

Everyone must use that line. In eighth grade our wood shop teacher would say we needed to "sand the wood as smooth as a spanked babies backside, and I just spanked mine this morning and know how that should feel." We had some really smooth projects :)

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Everyone must use that line. In eighth grade our wood shop teacher would say we needed to "sand the wood as smooth as a spanked babies backside, and I just spanked mine this morning and know how that should feel." We had some really smooth projects :)

Guy
Mr. Chandler ???

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mr. Chandler ???

Yes :dance: Do you remember when he would drive a Sears motorcycle to work and park it by the door? I had never known that Sears made a bike until then.

For some reason he liked me and I would always have to try the food that the girls would cook in cooking class for him. Then again, maybe he didn't like me :(

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Yes :dance: Do you remember when he would drive a Sears motorcycle to work and park it by the door? I had never known that Sears made a bike until then.

For some reason he liked me and I would always have to try the food that the girls would cook in cooking class for him. Then again, maybe he didn't like me :(

Guy
i won the shop award in 8th grade (2 year subscription to Popular Mechanics). i really liked him. when in Lenape he would come ski with us at Pine Hill. then in '73 i interviewed him for a paper i was writing. very smart man. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those were the days in Marlton when the hospital was not there and when in his class all you saw were cornfields out the window. He made the dull dreary days of winter (at least I felt that way) go by much quicker.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was out on the Batona Trail today near Apple Pie Hill (Friday Dec 31) The snow is still too deep to cover many miles. I had considered buying snowshoes last year, but then I thought, "Why bother? How often does it snow more than 6" in south Jersey?" HAH!

Absolutely no worries about ticks or chiggers today. :dance:

We took a little snowshoe walk today thru Jakes Branch CP, a bit short of 4 miles. Had not yet been on the trails they built, they did a nice job. Expected flat, but was just the opposite. Snow depths were still good for 'shoeing and the warm temps kept it soft as well. Plenty of deer back there :) I'd like to overlay their map on a topo; I think PS should be able to do it with layers.

5313911462_2d6c74166c_z.jpg

5313329491_8a65060bb0_z.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'd like to overlay their map on a topo; I think PS should be able to do it with layers.

You should be able to make a Garmin Custom Map using Google Earth with this technique: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

There must be more snow up there than I have. It was 60 degrees at my place today and out in the woods the snow is only 3 to 4 inches deep. Snowshoes would have just made it hard to get around. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should be able to make a Garmin Custom Map using Google Earth with this technique: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

There must be more snow up there than I have. It was 60 degrees at my place today and out in the woods the snow is only 3 to 4 inches deep. Snowshoes would have just made it hard to get around. :)

That should be interesting. I am going today to a place in Wharton that is not on your 1995 Wharton map, and as I mentioned before the 2007 maps are just so inferior to the 1995 maps and pretty much useless for me today. I am going to have to play with this because I really need the 1995 maps in my GPS. Plus, I could actually put in some of the more accurate survey maps I have and see if they work.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A little off subject.

In Boyd's post above he writes "THERE must be more snow" and my spell-check has always told me in this situation that it should be "Their." I am certain Boyd is correct and I have always ignored the spellcheck and left it as "There" so lets hear from others if they have the same problem. It may be a error in the Mac spell-check so if you use a Mac can you tell me what you come up with?

Guy