Batona trail

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I quickly played with it and was able to get a 1995 photo to match Google Earth. I will spend more time later today on this.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You should be able to make a Garmin Custom Map using Google Earth with this technique: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

There must be more snow up there than I have. It was 60 degrees at my place today and out in the woods the snow is only 3 to 4 inches deep. Snowshoes would have just made it hard to get around. :)

Thanks Boyd, I'll give that a try, but it looks like the the trail map will replace what is in GE. I would like to superimpose the trail over the GE topo image layer. I'm familiar with using levels and overlaying 2 photo's, this will be a new experience.

Snow was quite deep in places, poles went in up to 2 feet in some protected spots. Glad we went yesterday, today is totally fogged in and snow depths went down dramatically overnight in the yard. An early January thaw, but no worries, more is on the way, hopefully before the Ice train at Steamtown :)

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
A little off subject.

In Boyd's post above he writes "THERE must be more snow" and my spell-check has always told me in this situation that it should be "Their." I am certain Boyd is correct and I have always ignored the spellcheck and left it as "There" so lets hear from others if they have the same problem. It may be a error in the Mac spell-check so if you use a Mac can you tell me what you come up with?

Guy

we call ourselves HAMMOCKERS (people that camp in hammocks).
spell check wants us to be HAM MOCKERS (people that mock pigs??):D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You've gotta love spell checkers. The one of the iPhone really leads to some funny e-mails - I finally turned it off on mine.

46er, you are correct, that technique only generates a map that includes the image you have chosen and not the the underlying Google Earth image. But I think you can still accomplish what you want very easily (or close to it). On your Oregon, if you enable another map (such as my Map of NJ or the Garmin topo), all of the line and point objects will be drawn on top of the image. So you would get the roads, streams, contour lines, boundaries and points of interest from the topo along with your scanned map. Polygons (like lakes and landcover) would not be shown however.

There are a lot of other ways to do this, but they involve downloading and learning how to use more software. The map you posted is really simple. I assume the trail is really all you want? That could easily be traced and turned into a tradition Garmin vector-based map (.img file). Mapwel would be a simple way to do that: http://mapwel.eu/

You would choose the option to make the map with a transparent background, and then it would appear on top of any other map you chose on the GPS, or on top of BirdsEye imagery.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, you are correct, that technique only generates a map that includes the image you have chosen and not the the underlying Google Earth image. But I think you can still accomplish what you want very easily (or close to it). On your Oregon, if you enable another map (such as my Map of NJ or the Garmin topo), all of the line and point objects will be drawn on top of the image. So you would get the roads, streams, contour lines, boundaries and points of interest from the topo along with your scanned map. Polygons (like lakes and landcover) would not be shown however.

There are a lot of other ways to do this, but they involve downloading and learning how to use more software. The map you posted is really simple. I assume the trail is really all you want? That could easily be traced and turned into a tradition Garmin vector-based map (.img file). Mapwel would be a simple way to do that: http://mapwel.eu/

You would choose the option to make the map with a transparent background, and then it would appear on top of any other map you chose on the GPS, or on top of BirdsEye imagery.

Boyd, I've been playing with it and think that by doing some selective editing of the JB trail map I can get what I want, which is to show the trail. The park boundaries are a tad off, but thats fine. Adjusting the opacity is the key, I just need to get rid of the superfluruos stuff on their map and change the color of the trail to be more easily seen on the TOPO. Very easy procedure, thanks for the tip!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Spell check wants us to be HAM MOCKERS (people that mock pigs??):D

I would have expected "Ham Hockers" :)

55077A1B.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have no snow here where I live, and Al said it is mostly gone down his way, so were we surprised where we traveled to our intended location today and it was a foot deep. We met at Batsto and there is very little snow there, and just 5 miles away it is a foot deep.

We found a monument that Ben's Live Maps helped us find. We were 4 foot from it according to our GPS. It always amazes me that sitting here using Ben's map I can get within 4 feet.

IMG_6091.JPG

Surveyors now use tent poles as markers. :confused:

IMG_6093.JPG

Had to push the snow away for this one.

IMG_6096.JPG

Al fighting the briers and the snow.

IMG_6097.JPG

Stone that Al found a while back.

IMG_6099.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes I could not believe how upon leaving batsto the woods were basically snow free and upon travelling east on 542 when we hit crowleytown all the sudden the woods were filled with snow and it was obviously getting deeper as we travelled.by the time we got to lower bank there had to be as Guy said a foot of snow in the woods,definitely not prime stone hunting weather.if those monuments hadn't have been tall ones we may not have found them except maybe with my knee.
Al

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
yes I could not believe how upon leaving batsto the woods were basically snow free and upon travelling east on 542 when we hit crowleytown all the sudden the woods were filled with snow and it was obviously getting deeper as we travelled.by the time we got to lower bank there had to be as Guy said a foot of snow in the woods,definitely not prime stone hunting weather.if those monuments hadn't have been tall ones we may not have found them except maybe with my knee.
Al
You could also find them tip toeing in the dark with your ghillie suit hiked up:)