Batsto Country Living Fair 10-19-14

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If anyone is going, some advice. Go early, or go in the back way. If your not going, steer clear of RT 542 in that area. Traffic on 542 lines up for miles. Hot pecans rule !

2958247062_4f7dfb59d8_o.jpg

Reactions: Ben Ruset

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I waited till noon 30 or so,
only back up I had coming up 542 from Waterford was the fellows directing right at the entrance... which is gonna happen.
none Too bad.
I generally don't bother anymore looking at too much on the mansion side during an event.
I park on the side from visitor center.
I park, go right by it, behind mansion, and cross the bridge to where my real interests are.
A Lovely heard of John Deere and some Case. they have a Model 40 pretty close to mine but the front of mine is higher for field work.
they also have the Model 40 dozer which is cool. The Model 40 was employed for a number of designs/uses.
This year's treat for me... the CATAWISSA, a steam engine powered small craft on the water.
absolute cool. complex looking engine but it did a nice job, I was driven to it instantly because all I could think of was my Fave Movie
"The African Queen" , Just love that boat!Been in the Real Queen once. Her home port is in Key Largo.
It's a fond memory. (So at long last... I give you the connection.)
I get the kettle corn for the boys because I can take it or leave it but they love it,
very nice day but brisk in the shade and there was a noticeable Gale out.

g

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
""The African Queen" , Just love that boat!Been in the Real Queen once. Her home port is in Key Largo."

Is it really? I first went down to Key Largo in 1973. They told us the famous movie was actually filmed in Key West, and I think they said the African Queens was there too. I was last down there in 1997 or something. It had changed a lot.

The last time I went to the Batsto Fair I drove back out through the deep woods in a low slung rental car - and got trapped in the sand in a very remote place.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Whoooaaa, hold on camper.
For the bulk of The African Queen, Kate, Bogey, and Crew did their filming in... Africa, and some London studios.
The Queen is indeed in Key Largo unless something changed in the last couple years.
Seeing her up close and personal back in the nineties was a fond memory. She was elegant in a "Wow did that move?" way.
Now,
You may be thinking of the movie "Key Largo", also with Kate and Bogey, and Eddie G Robinson.
Some get the two confused.
Even that movie though did not have near as much filming location in the Keys as one might think.
Trust LARGO on this, but check me if you wish.

** Back on topic... yes that sand is a bear and many have succumbed to its grip.
** I would loved to have putt-putt down our little streams in the boat that was at Batsto Sunday.
** Would have been a sight to see, sight seeing in the Pines, little Steampot puffing along.
g

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"You may be thinking of the movie "Key Largo"

Oh yeah, I'm confusing them, duh. But as I recall the African Queen was parked in Key West way back then...I think...maybe. Anyway, I've never seen it in person and I've been to Key Largo a number of times since, but, as I said, the last was about 1997. I'm not as fond of "African Queen" as you are - some heavy handed post-war anti-German propaganda in it - fat evil ship captain - but I like that little chugging steam powered river boat too. It's been a long time since I've seen either film.

Key Largo filming locations:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040506/locations

African Queen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043265/locations .... Congo, Uganda, Turkey, California, England!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Yep, I believe the movie might have been banned from the Berlin Film Festival due to the Anti-German thing.
Looking at your stats pretty much backs up my points (Although I never knew about Turkey!)
I was in the Queen in the early 90's. Her engine took a dump in the early 2000's. In restoration.

I quess my original point was did you get a chance to see the one at Batso?
For a while out on the water it was "talking" to the CASE Steam Engine.
The CASE would sound off and the CATAWISSA would sound back. Honk for toot so to speak.
Neat.

I'm a tad disappointed they're not offering the stamped Cedar shingles anymore.
Just the Pine 'cause it's cheaper and easier to get.

Did ANYONE see Turdl? <--
Looked around and no see? But then I really didn't get to every nook and crannie of the vendor/crafter side.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yep, I believe the movie might have been banned from the Berlin Film Festival due to the Anti-German thing.
Looking at your stats pretty much backs up my points (Although I never knew about Turkey!)
I was in the Queen in the early 90's. Her engine took a dump in the early 2000's. In restoration.

I quess my original point was did you get a chance to see the one at Batso?
For a while out on the water it was "talking" to the CASE Steam Engine.
The CASE would sound off and the CATAWISSA would sound back. Honk for toot so to speak.
Neat.

I'm a tad disappointed they're not offering the stamped Cedar shingles anymore.
Just the Pine 'cause it's cheaper and easier to get.

Looked around and no see? But then I really didn't get to every nook and crannie of the vendor/crafter side.

I don't know what they were doing in Turkey. See what one at Batsto?

Great steam tractor photo above. I like steam powered vehicles, especially locomotives. Hey, I bet I'm the only guy you know who once was offered a job working in a steam locomotive repair shop! ,Just like in "Danger Lights", 1930...if you ever want to see a movie starring the great steam locomotives of 1930, including the repair shops. Great film, originally shown in 50mm large screen. I'm also probably the only guy you know who actually got strafed by a biplane - in the Pine Barrens (see one of my earlier posts and photos of me st - I mean borrowing some cranberries from the cranberry bog c.1972 or 73. My 2 claims to fame!

PS Is the old water wheel powered lumber mill still running at Batsto?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Looked around and no see? But then I really didn't get to every nook and crannie of the vendor/crafter side.[/QUOTE]

Terry was there in the morning helping to set up but she doesn't work there anymore, she's a city girl now (Trenton)!
But- she will be at the 4x4 cleanup on Sunday, this year it's in Brendan Byrne SF.