Batsto Fish Ladder

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
I wanted to see if anyone has observed the fishladders effectiveness at Batsto Lake. Has it been a success in allowing the herring to go upstream to spawn?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
While very interesting, I have tried to understand the effectiveness of this concept and perhaps due to being uninformed, have failed to due so.
I can attest to a difference in denizens of the Mullica from whence I was a youth and wonder what role our help, or interferrence in efforts like this has caused.
Is there an informative link I could perhaps benefit from reading?

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
herring go up the batsto river ?? (and obviously before that, the mullica river ? ) I never knew..

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
While I can't speak for the Batso, I have personally observed herring moving up the fish ladder at Lake Shenandoah, on the Metedeconk River. While I was there, barely a minute went by during which a fish didn't pass the spot I was watching.

This also brings to mind the story that I'm sure many here have heard of Jesse Richard's daughter being upset by the locals catching herring in the Batsto River on Sunday. The local minister's answer was that the time to catch herring was when the herring were there.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
GermanG said:
The local minister's answer was that the time to catch herring was when the herring were there.

Rev. Simon Lucas, if I recall. Perhaps he himself skipped church once a year to catch some herring. He has a stream named after him, afterall.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Ahh! So then, as a youth, you often whiled away the hours in Pectoral Pursuit?

At times. Largely due to the presence of relatives on the river and a child's wonder at any creature he may come across, especially things from thee river. I have fond memories of things seen on & off the end of a hook.
Wish I had that kind of time again.

g.