batsto to lower forge and back

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
batsto to hampton furnace and back

displayimage.php
Had a great trip last week,even though I had to cut it short. I drove up to Jersey on 5/30 but due to traffic I got in to late to get started. Next morning I drove back to Hampton furnace and stashed my canoe back in the woods at a spot on the bogs where I used to camp when I was a kid. I then drove to Batsto and parked my car in the visitor center lot,and started hiking north on the batona trail. it was a hot day for hiking and it always seems a little hotter in the pines but once I got going it was not so bad. I saw deer every where .I also saw bunch of what I believe are Baltimore Oriels and these Brown and white birds that I can not identify. I don't remember seeing either of them before in the pines. once when I stopped for a water break I saw a humming bird in a laurel bush.
The flowers were every where, very colorful.When I finally got to Hampton furnace the flies and gnats came out in force and I had to put on the bug jacket for awhile. I had a minutes worry when I got to my spot as there were fresh tire track and footprints over mine and I thought maybe someone had found my canoe. It blended in to the brush so well that I did not spot it immediately! I pitched my hammock and went down to the Batsto to wash up, and soak my feet some, and fill my water bags.
After dinner I crawled in my hammock and read while the sun went down, I was really appreciating mosquito netting as the swarms zeroed in on me.Right after dark a deer came up and was very vocal about my intrusion onto his trail! He circled around my camp snorting for several minutes before finally detouring.I also heard coyotes howling ,really neat.
I had planned on doing the river in two days, but in the morning I checked my cell phone and discovered I had 11 messages. I could not get a good enough signal to make a call though, so I paddled straight through to Batsto. It took me about 11 hours. Turns out my dad was in the hospital but he is fine now. The trip was still fantastic, nice day to be on the river.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
is that the water collection system i see on the corner of your fly? how well does that work?
also, do you have the snakeskins? i'm still trying to decide if they're worth the $20...

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Wamba, that is just a set off mesh ditty bags, I just toss a couple of rocks in there if it starts blowing. I will replace them with a couple of nylon bags when I find the right ones. rocks are hard to come by in the pines.The nylon will hold sand. I don't think I will bother with other accessories,my only complaint is that the fly is a little to small.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Grendel,

"Wenn einer eine Reise tut, hat er 'was zu erzaehlen!"

Glad to hear that your Dad is OK. Many thanks for the photos --- and for the report on your trip. It takes me there where I can no longer go...

ebsi