Bear in Z Pines

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Well I was just sitting here on my lunch break and after leafing through my photos on this computer I thought I would upload some. Theres a mad mix from Zion Natl. Park, Pinnacle in the Lehigh Valley, The Great Swamp in the Pines, Senor Bear in the Pines, The PA Grand Canyon, etc. More will come from my home computer in the future, hope you all enjoy.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
just an attempt at humor, I guess unsuccesfully. A sub-adult black bear I saw in the Pines on a fireline aprox 6-7 north east of Batsto. Saw him last spring while I had stopped for lunch. Posted the pic with a bunch of others.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Piney Boy said:
just an attempt at humor, I guess unsuccesfully. A sub-adult black bear I saw in the Pines on a fireline aprox 6-7 north east of Batsto. Saw him last spring while I had stopped for lunch. Posted the pic with a bunch of others.

Piney Boy, nice shot of a bear. Where did you actually see him? Can you post the coordinates? You say 6 or 7 north east from Batsto. Did you mean miles?That puts us around Jenkins Neck. Is that where you saw him?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Sorry I cant give coordinates, no GPS. I can tell you I followed a fireline between six or seven miles north east of Batsto, so I was pretty close to Jenkins Neck. I had stopped for lunch and the bear came out of some undergrowth about 30 ft. in front of me. I stood up and watched him watch me. I said "hello mr bear, I'm not your enemy so dont worry about me", or something like that. I snapped a pic and he went the way he came. I've seen bear in Virginia (Shenandoah), PA (MidState Trail), and Alaska (Tongass Natl. Rainforest.) Seeing one in the Pines ranks up there with the best of them though.:)
Joe

virginiapiney

Jan 6, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
How long have the bears been back?

I moved to VA in 1995.I came back to camp last year and I get a pamphlet with my permit that says "you are in bear country". Were the bears reintroduced or did they just wander in? I found a lot of tracks along the basto.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That depends on who you talk to. Some say they wandered down, and others say they introduced them in the "dead of night". Either way, they are hear since there has even been a video of one in Chatsworth.

Guy

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
virginiapiney said:
I moved to VA in 1995.I came back to camp last year and I get a pamphlet with my permit that says "you are in bear country". Were the bears reintroduced or did they just wander in? I found a lot of tracks along the basto.

Bear were introduce up north in NJ. Along the Appalachian Trail there is a heavy presence, saw two up there last year; one at Sun Fish Pond and another on the Stairway to Heaven Pass. Honestly, I worry more about upsetting a Northern Rattler than a black bear. Long as you give them there space and dont do anything stupid there is almost no chance of them attacking you.
They naturally migrated down to the Pines and have been seen in every county now. I pretty much bear bag all of my food to keep small critters as well as the bigger ones away. I like the bear country pamphlets, they hopefully will lead all campers to keep a neat and tidy campsite.