Bear population spreads across NJ

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Imagine a bear in Hudson County? Well, in recent years, all 21 New Jersey counties have had bear reports, according to Fish and Wildlife.The black bear is native to New Jersey, but by 1900, because of hunting and habitat loss, there were fewer than 100, according to Fish and Wildlife.
Then, beginning around 60 years ago as bears started migrating out of Pennsylvania, the New Jersey population increased, according to Fish and Wildlife.:bear:

http://www.app.com/article/20110404/NJNEWS/110404006/Bear-population-spreads-across-NJ-sightings-occur-every-county-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
A bear raiding a backyard bird feeder was recorded in Mullica 2 or 3 years ago, near Sweetwater. Whenever I cruise down that one road I try to remember to peer deep into the woods, hoping to catch a glimpse of one.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I don't know. I've been to VA, WV and NY hiking and have seen how bears mark their teritory (I'm guessing thats what it was). They basically claw trees and shread them, you can't miss it. I've never seen this anywhere I've been in the pines. If they are in the pines they must be extremely scarce. Has anyone else seen evidence first hand? I guess for me seeing is believing. If they are here, I would love to see one!
Greg

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I don't know. I've been to VA, WV and NY hiking and have seen how bears mark their teritory (I'm guessing thats what it was). They basically claw trees and shread them, you can't miss it. I've never seen this anywhere I've been in the pines. If they are in the pines they must be extremely scarce. Has anyone else seen evidence first hand? I guess for me seeing is believing. If they are here, I would love to see one!
Greg

I found the newscast. I'm usually a skeptic myself, but this one was credible. I remember thinking that as long as this bear stays in the area, he'll be fine. Where I used to live (central nj) bears and coyotes made front page news and the local police dept would set out as if they were part of a cavalry... seemed they enjoyed the challenge too much.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If they are here, I would love to see one!
Greg

Next month is probably your best chance as last years crop of males will be kicked out by Momma and will be roaming looking for their own territory. There was one that was hanging around very near to downtown Toms River last year, but I never got to see him.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I've never really seen any signs of bears in the barrens and I've been through some desolate areas tracking rattlesnakes. I tend to think the ones that have been seen are just passing through. With all the blueberries you would think if bears were here that we would be hearing about it much more.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is obvious from the video's and the news report of the one in Ocean County and downtown Atlantic City a few years ago that they have been here, but I think they don't last long down this way.

From 2005.

EGG HARBOR CITY - A small black bear wandered along the 700 and 900 blocks of Philadelphia Avenue - the town’s main street -- early this morning.
The 100 to 150 pound bear passed by the city’s ambulance squad headquarters, climbed a recreation field fence, passed by the 700 block of St. Louis Avenue and residences on Baltimore Avenue before crossing Bremen Avenue and heading into the woods in neighboring Galloway Township.
Many residents called police to report seeing the bear.
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection is now aware of the bear’s appearance in a populous residential area and intends to remove the bear, according to Captain Raymond Peterson of the Egg Harbor City police department.
Police advise staying clear of the bear, securing trashcans and removing food sources.
If the bear is seen, call police at 609-965-1200 or the DEP at 908-735-8793.

Guy

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Think we were just shy of 600 bears killed in NJ during the 2010 season. That should have put at least a dent in their presence. The pines definately get a bear or two every some odd years. I know a lot of old timer hunters who swear by seeing their tracks every five or ten years.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
It is obvious from the video's and the news report of the one in Ocean County and downtown Atlantic City a few years ago that they have been here, but I think they don't last long down this way.

From 2005.

EGG HARBOR CITY - A small black bear wandered along the 700 and 900 blocks of Philadelphia Avenue - the town’s main street -- early this morning.
The 100 to 150 pound bear passed by the city’s ambulance squad headquarters, climbed a recreation field fence, passed by the 700 block of St. Louis Avenue and residences on Baltimore Avenue before crossing Bremen Avenue and heading into the woods in neighboring Galloway Township.
Many residents called police to report seeing the bear.
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection is now aware of the bear’s appearance in a populous residential area and intends to remove the bear, according to Captain Raymond Peterson of the Egg Harbor City police department.
Police advise staying clear of the bear, securing trashcans and removing food sources.
If the bear is seen, call police at 609-965-1200 or the DEP at 908-735-8793.

Guy

That's why I haven't seen bears in the pines, I have to hike in downtown Egg Harbor city. :)

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
bear track

100_0126.JPG
[/url][/IMG]

I know it is kind of hard to see, but I took this photo on the Batsto just north of Lower forge. I also found some tracks at mannis duck pond.

T

TabernacleNative

bear tracks, too

I didn't believe there were bears around here either, I've never seen a single sign of them. Back in January, I was out in Wharton in an area really close by where I often stop for lunch while kayaking and saw some big tracks in the snow. Bear tracks, definitely. Fresh in the snow, well defined. Almost as big as my size 11s. I've got pictures of them.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I think the bear population in South Jersey has become very intelligent and wary. You can drive through Shenandoah National Park and see 3-4 bears on a good day and get the idea that Black Bears are easy to find or that they are unafraid of encounters with people. Depends on the area, pressure, and how humans react to them when they do come into contact.
Here in my area bears seem to be on the rebound, there have been sightings close to homes in and around Fredericksburg. Coyotes also. Selective breeding has produced some very people smart animals.
What gets me is how with all the trail cameras out there no one is getting any good pictures in the Pines. I would love to put a camera out by Mannis over some good bait. Friend of mine told me that no bear can stay away from a dozen assorted Dunkin Doughnuts covered in bacon grease and topped with a can of cheap tuna fish.