Bear Season Cancelled Why?

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
we really need to demand for the resignation of the DEP head CAMPBELL!!!!! he has just cancelled the bear hunting season. DO WE NEED TO SEE A CHILD GET HURT OR KILLED JUST BECAUSE HE WAS PART OF THE MCGREEDY WAY OF THINGS? if this happens they should hold him personaly responsible! as long as we keep building and ripping down the forest we need to at least manage the numbers and the future of NEW JERSEY black bear population. in case you dont know many of these bears dont even hibernate and have become garbage can raiders.the poulation has reached epic numbers. just set your scanners to the fish and game programs and you will hear how the bears are killing pets and live stock. they are breaking in homes and vehicles to get food.YOU CAN ONLY HAVE SO MANY ANIMALS FOR SO MUCH LAND!. WE HAVE CREATED THIS MESS AND AT LEAST WE CAN GIVE THE BEARS A LITTLE RESPECT BY MANAGING THE NUMBERS. it makes me sick when they have to put down a bear or when you see one hit by a vehicle. i would rather honor the bear on my wall and fill my freezer than see them just get thrown in a dump.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I know this is repetetive, but if a child (or pet, or livestock, or garbage can) gets hurt by a black bear its due solely to irresponsibe carelessness by parents (/homeowners). The only way to completely eliminate this possibility is to eliminate every last bear (which, btw--being territorial by nature WILL NOT exceed a natural population density). That is not management. But--in that case . . we'd better eliminate pet dogs . . . bees . . . racoons . . . skunks . . . and i've heard carelessly misplaced banana peels are an increasing source of injury.

also--an interesting thought occurred to me. I wonder what would happen if we cross-referenced the number of childern hurt by black bears in the country with the number of children hurt by irresponsible gun use/storage by their hunting-crazed parents. just a thought.

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
gagliarchives said:
Has a Bear been seen in Wharton? I haven't seen one.

Yes. There was a video on I believe one of the Philly TV news website about a month ago that a woman in Chatsworth took of a Bear in her back yard. It even chewed on her kids toys.

And one or more damaged the bee hives on the Parker Preserve near Chatsworth. And a Fire Warden in Chatsworth saw one in a tree on his property. And there have been numerous other sightings.

Guy