Bear shot in Essex County today :(

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
http://www.nj.com/newslogs/starledg...njo_ledgerupdate/archives/2006_05.html#139547

Poor guy wandered into the Irvington/South Orange area. Honestly I'm suprised he was shot by the police and not gang members...Now I'm a hunter and I believe in wildlife management via occasional culling of the herd, but this is sad. I know that the state has set up "bear exclusion zones" but why couldn't they have darted the bear and either shipped him to the pines or back up to the skylands?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The state of New Jersey did a bloody awful job handling this situation. Why was no forestry, animal control, or forestry officer/ranger on hand to handle this? I work with many people who tranqulize animals up to 5 times larger than bear, why was this handled with such ineptitude. There is no reason this animal could not have been successfully darted and relocated.
An this "animal exclusion zone" crap, I'm sure the bear stopped to read the signs huh? Guess trying to find a middle ground is out of the question, dont try to understand the animal world, just blow it away because of fear and ignorance.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Heard this on news last eve, and about the Trenton Bear as well.
Not ever hearing the following, I want to make sure it is true and not just some media drama crap. The newsperson indicated that N.J. has a "ZERO" tolerance policy with bear found in populated/densly populated areas?
Is this true?
Almost seems impossible to have a venue to not consider capture or relocation. In the same news report it was indicated that there were efforts made to contain the animal. So which is it? and where is the fine line?
Seems unrealistic to me.

G.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
:bear: I'm not sure we're not rushing to judgment here. If any of you know the area this bear was seen in then it may make sense. There is not a patch of woods anywhere and chances are it will be forced into contact with humans. Not a good situation at all. I'm all for the bear getting a fair outcome. But if it's the bear or the people the vote goes in favor on the people.