Bear Swamp Hill Photos

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not the only Bear Swamp in the pines. Just off of route 70 near Medford there is another Bear Swamp.

Those cedars are part of the Papoose Branch which sounds Indian to me. So maybe they named it.

As for why it is called this exactly I have no idea. Who knows where some of the odd names of the streams and such out there come from.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
woodjin said:
I have a 1981 hard cover edition of The Pine Barrens, with photos by Bill Curtsinger.

Funny that you mention this!... Today I was browsing in an antique store and they had a copy of that edition, which I haven't seen before. The cover photo is completely different from the new version which is in color. Also had an original hardbound copy of "Iron in the Pines." I almost bought them, but they were a little pricey...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Don't forget Bear Creek Reserve near green bank along the Mullica. Okay, it is creek and not swamp, but close enough and it is in the pine barrens.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Boyd said:
Funny that you mention this!... Today I was browsing in an antique store and they had a copy of that edition, which I haven't seen before. The cover photo is completely different from the new version which is in color. Also had an original hardbound copy of "Iron in the Pines." I almost bought them, but they were a little pricey...

I got that off of ebay. On the subject, a couple months ago I picked up a 1963 edition of "More Forgotten Towns" and a 1956 edition of "The Roads of Home". Got those at Buzbys. I also have a 1961 edition of "Forgotten Towns"(bought from the Medford Library for $0.25). These were books I had already but there is something cool about old editions.

Jeff