Bear trapping

B

bach2yoga

Just got this in....

from Russ Juelg
Rumors of traps intended for bears in South Jersey have been circulating. I just finished talking to Larry Herrity (sp?) at the Division of Fish and Wildlife, and he said the Division is not currently trapping any bears in South Jersey. The Division is not attempting to limit the natural migration of bears into South Jersey. Any traps set for bear or any other attempt to take a bear would be illegal, and should be reported as a game violation. You can call 856-629-0555 to report the violation.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
That is good to know. It is also very good to hear that they are not currently opposed to the bears migrating back into the Pines. There is so much food as far as huckleberries go that their populations would probably increase quickly and then the public fear and hunting would begin. I personally welcome them back, if that day comes. I know there are probably at least a few scattered throughout.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If that trap catches me, I will be calling that number. Sounds like a rumor.

Guy

SkullCherrys

Scout
May 4, 2004
Forked River/Belcoville
I'm not sure if bear are back in south jersey or if any how far in. I just read in the paper the other day there was one found dead here in lacey township in our industrial park. It appeared to have been struck by a car and looks as if the person possibly tried to help it but it died of a crushed skull or skull fracture. I myself wonder where it might have been hit, probably not too far because I don't imagine someone driving a long way with a bear in the back of their car or truck. It really makes me curious.

B

bach2yoga

davensj said:
Guess i`ll go bring in my Bear Trap`s.......was hoping to get Lucky this weekend. :devil:

No need to...I already turned them in to the state. :p

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Remember awhile back I said I feared hitting a bear with my tracker, well it looks like someone beat me to it!
I am gald though, just got a new sticker on my vehicle.
(looking for two devils to insert here!)

...........Sue................