Bears out and about

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I wonder if this is the same bear that the state moved out of Mercer County a few weeks ago? I read that the Division of F&G released the bear into a wildlife management area in Central Jersey. I think that would have been Assumpink, Colliers Mill or Turkey Swamp.

Chris

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I wonder if this is the same bear that the state moved out of Mercer County a few weeks ago? I read that the Division of F&G released the bear into a wildlife management area in Central Jersey. I think that would have been Assumpink, Colliers Mill or Turkey Swamp.

Chris

A New Egypt local told me not too long ago that they released a bear in Colliers Mills. I thought he was out of his mind or just misinformed. Maybe he was neither? I cant imagine a bear in one of those smaller WMA. You have to know they'll wander out of there in no time.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Message from The Pinelands Institute for Natural and Environmental Studies
July 21, 2011 - Know the Bear Facts - presented by Michelle Smith, NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife

Participants will learn about the natural history of the Garden State's largest land mammal, as well as about black bear research. Since black bears are found statewide, the program also provides practical information about coexisting with bears and tips on how to react if a black bear is encountered. The program includes an audio/visual segment, a question and answer period, and show-and-tell items. Various publications will also be available for distribution.

For educators, this program discuses key concepts within the current New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and will reference a new film documentary and companion school curriculum developed to educate New Jersey residents about co-existing with black bears.

The program is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and will be held at the Pinelands Commission office located at 15 Springfield Road, New Lisbon NJ, 08064 in Pemberton Township. Anyone interested in attending the presentation should pre-register by calling (609) 894-7300 or sending a message to info@njpines.state.nj.us.