beelcoville powerhouse and dr whites

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
After going thru bach2yoga"s gallery I realize now that what I dove with a wetsuit and a carbide lamp was the bellcoville powerhouse next to the great egg river.It goes back about 50 yards with a depth of about 3 ft and about 8 inches of airspace.when you get to the back it"s pitch dark except when you look back you can see a peephole of light.the spring water is cold and theirs at least one monster fish that lives in the entrance.

I was seeing some pics of a ruin called dr.whites I believe near apple pie hill.can anyone lead me to this site? looked real nice in some scenic barren country.
Al

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I have been to the Belcoville powerhouse and I know this place well. The place you are talking about is right next to the artesian well I am assuming? Anyway, I have never seen a cave type hole to go in. What part of the ruins are you going into? My favorite part of Belcoville is a branch off Frog Pond Road that takes you on a trail to a field. Along this trail you will find a small moss-covered mound with water trickling out of it.

-Benny

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
manumuskin said:
I was seeing some pics of a ruin called dr.whites I believe near apple pie hill.can anyone lead me to this site? looked real nice in some scenic barren country.
Al

Al,

Dr White built a sanatarium on Apple Pie Hill for the treatment of nervous disorders. If you have ever been to Apple Pie Hill the ruins of the buildings are scattered around the hill. You have to look around to find them but I would recommend doing that in the fall. I just returned from Apple Pie Hill minutes ago and it is getting thick with vegetation and as always it is full of ticks. I was there tonight to watch the sunset.

Your post did not specify if you know where Apple Pie Hill is so if not here is how to get there from downtown Chatsworth. Go to downtown Chatsworth and head down the road next to the firehouse (532), pass Chatsworth Lake and the sharp bend. A short while down the road on your left is street sign that says Ringer Ave or something close to that name. There are brick pillars at the entrance. Go straight down that road and it will turn from paved to dirt at an intersection and you keep straight. Follow that to the tower and the top of Apple Pie Hill. The round oval cement foundation on the top of the hill was part of the sanatarium and many years ago it held a fire lookout on the roof. All around the hill are remnants of the sanitarium but as I said they are harder to find this time of year.

Here is a photo that my friend took of a sign there in 1977.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/Apple1_77.jpg

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Al,
I think the river that runs behind the Belcoville near the artesian well is actually the South River--both the South River and the Great Egg Harbor River run through the park. Careful diving in that area, a lot of people launch boats from there. We've also noticed an area as you walk down toward the river that water springs up from the ground, but you can only see it at low tide.
I love the Belcoville ruins, they are some of my favorites. I keep meaning to get to the tower that you can see off of 50, but I always seem to have the little ones with me when I go there.
We were out there Thursday and the artesian well was filled with latex water balloon remnants--a bag of 100 balloons left all over the place. We borrowed the nature center's net and did a mini-cleanup while we were there.
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
whites and powerhouse

yes I do know where apple pie hill is but have never seen these ruins.I guess I"ll have to bushwack around the hill and find em.I"ve hiked the erntire batona trail and drive to the top of the hill every so often but I"ve missed it.
The powerhouse area I"ve dove in is pictured on bach2yoga"s gallery.theirs a stream coming out from under an archway thats pobably no more then 4 or 5 inches off the water surface.once you get past the arch theirs about 8 inches of airspace and 3 ft of water with mad scum on the bottom and 1 BIG fish.I"d like to find this moss mound and spring where the water wells up youse are talking about and yess Renee I believe your correct it still is south river there,the great egg is further down stream.
Al