Better Than Google Earth?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I'm gonna be using the live search maps now more too, because Google Earth has decided to put summertime satellite views up, and with all the decidious tree growth it is hard to make out the trails now. And now its impossible to see pine stands.:bang:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I'm gonna be using the live search maps now more too, because Google Earth has decided to put summertime satellite views up, and with all the decidious tree growth it is hard to make out the trails now. And now its impossible to see pine stands.:bang:

That's the reason I've often used Terraserver instead of Google Maps or Earth. While their maps are less user friendly to move around on, the photography appears to be taken in winter and the roads are much better defined.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I just wish Google would give users the freedom to choose between summer and winter images. I also cannot plot mileage in anything but Google Earth.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The tools in Google Earth are great. The heterogenous nature of the imagery is a two-edged sword. You don't have any control over which image set they choose, but on the other hand you find higher res images than you generally do in Virtual Earth where the imagery is much more homogenous.

I find myself using a mix of tools: Google Earth, Google Maps, Live Search Bird's Eye View, NASA Worldwind, etc.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Its a shame because I love the tools on Google Earth, but they have the pine barrens split up between summer and winter (on both our barrens).
East section is summer and west section is winter.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Below is an example. The newer image is on the right and seems blurry and quite distorted (even has CA!).
googleearth.jpg