Bevan WMA Forest Fire

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill that's a great recording. Beautiful! I hear peepers, leopards, PBTF's, whippoorwills, green frogs, carpenter frogs. Was that recording made relatively early in the year (late april / early may)?

Thanks, Mark. There are carpenters chugging in the background, aren't there? That means my 99% sureness of where I made this recording is 100% wrong! It would have to be Friendship then. (I only have a cheap pair of computer speakers at my current location.) Somewhere I have a really nice recording of the pond being discussed here with the same general cast of characters, MINUS the carpenters. :confused: BTW, one of these days I'm going to take you up on that wood frog(ing) offer. Spinning wheels of late.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never see bulls in acidic water.

Al, I was shocked to see one perched on a hummock in the Cook's Branch last week. It was in a very small tributary, and close to the source of the tributary. I have a blurry image of him among the sphagnum and golden club. Check it out. He was sleek, fat, and bigger than my fist. I tried to nab him, but he dove into a spring hole.
Bfrog.PNG

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I've heard a single bullfrog (male) singing for a hypothetical single bullfrog (female) at the first pond on the left along Quaker Bridge Road heading from 206. A couple of years running. I kept yelling at it, "Alfie sez your [sic] not supposed to be here!"

Reactions: bobpbx

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Al, if you consider Turkey Swamp the Pine Barrens, I've got photos of a bullfrog from there. It was taken last year.

Bill,

Anytime you are ready, the offer is always good. The wood frog action was pretty intense this year. I swear that the male to female ratio was much higher this year too. There were males trying to joust other males off of amplexing pairs, and I saw a mating ball that had over a half dozen male wood frogs on a single female. Here are some pics from this year's migration:

ry%3D480

Lone wood frog

ry%3D480

Spotted sal

ry%3D480

Peeper

ry%3D480

Lone male ready to joust, spotted sal aloof below

ry%3D480

Mating ball

Sorry to hijack the thread folks. I'm glad that the fire at Bevan was contained and that the damage is minimal.

Reactions: whippoorbill

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Al,

Turkey Swamp is in Monmouth County, not too far from Allaire State Park. Which three frog species?

Mark

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think this new Leopard is supposed to be down my way isn't it? Or is it a Barrens Leopard?Isn't it like the two species of Grey Treefrogs? Supposedly distinguishable by sound but not by sight?Does this mean New Jerseyans and South Carolinians are different species? We are quite distinguishable by accent.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
From New York City and North Jersey. Yes, distinguishable by sound but not sight. Also different on a genetic level. Sorta like Al and Alfreda (maybe not).

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
He hasn't recorded Wood,Pickerel or Green Treefrog. Is Turkey swamp a good sized swamp? I do like swamps.

Hi Al,

I made a mistake, I apologize. The bullfrog photo was taken at Manasquan Reservoir, not Turkey Swamp. I've only been on the inner loop at Turkey Swamp and near the lake, but I understand that it's nice when you get out toward the river. They had a few cases of mosquitos found with EEE late last year, just FYI.

I've got a pickerel spot where I sometimes hear them calling. Pickerels are very common here in the streams and in the winter they are found in spring seeps. They have an interesting call and sometimes call from under water. They turn a dark copperish brown in the fall, very cool. Really brings out the coloration inside the legs:

Top pic is normal color (sitting on my son's leg). Bottom pic is in situ in the autumn.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Beautiful pics.Don't their calls sound like a snore? I know spadefoots sound like they ripped a tight one.

Yep, definitely like a snore. Never had the pleasure of seeing or hearing a spadefoot in the wild. Coincidentally I was thinking that last night's weather might have been a good time for them.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I think this new Leopard is supposed to be down my way isn't it? Or is it a Barrens Leopard?Isn't it like the two species of Grey Treefrogs? Supposedly distinguishable by sound but not by sight?Does this mean New Jerseyans and South Carolinians are different species? We are quite distinguishable by accent.

New Jersey Leopard Frog: Rana whosdatfriggingii ?

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know of two locations for spadefoot that I have seen and heard them and one word of mouth location.One place is the retainment pond where I work at a glass factory in Bridgeton right beside the road.heard them last year,not yet this year.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

Okay, I'm 100% sure this is the Bevan pond recording (see previous posts). It's interesting to hear how all the species fire up in song at the conclusion; an amphibious orchestra.

Regarding the new leopard frog species, I haven't seen anything new reported for a couple of years now. I'd submitted a recording to the scientists involved a time back and the leopards on it were identified as the new species. Al and I had made the recording in Cumberland County (near Port Norris).

Reactions: dogg57

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, on the way home tonight I was going through a mud puddle and I saw movement in the water. Biggest bull frog I have ever seen. This was about 1/4 mile west of Webb's Mill in Greenwood Forest. His face alone is as big as a green frog.

Bull.PNG