Big Trees

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
New record. The old record was a Black Gum in Bear swamp west at 12 ft 4.5 inches breast height circumference. New record is Bear east.A sweetgum named Whippergum since Bill spotted the grove of three trees.There was one measured at 1 ft 9 in,the second twin Tower was inaccessible due to heavy briar cover but looked slightly smaller but 50 yards out into the swamp was a monster that we could not access that day due to ten foot high briar mats.We went back with hand saw and big limb loppers. In about 20 minutes we made 50 yards and measured Whippergum at 12 ft 8 at breast height.we would have gotten 14 ft if I had incorporated a breast high knot on the back of the tree but Whip said that was cheating so i wen just above it.

Attachments

• Whippergum.jpg
    Whippergum.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 296

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/community/bigtree_registry.html I think it's their personal record because the one on this list is 16'4". This is a current list because the Quercus marilandica has been removed and it was just cut down this year. Another interesting observation is that the "Mutha" has been added but Woodjin isn't listed as the discoverer! Also the runner-up white cedar is only 99"

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are you reporting it?
Wouldn't know who to report it to.I doubt it's a state record but it's the biggest we've found so far.I think I may know where a much bigger one is.I am going to check that area out my next day off.head back to work today:-( There are 15 fters reportedly in the area with a 30 ft high stump at 19 ft)

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/community/bigtree_registry.html I think it's their personal record because the one on this list is 16'4". This is a current list because the Quercus marilandica has been removed and it was just cut down this year. Another interesting observation is that the "Mutha" has been added but Woodjin isn't listed as the discoverer! Also the runner-up white cedar is only 99"
The two white cedar down here on Muskee are approaching 11 ft. One looks like it's seen better days but the biggest is still quite healthy and growing

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
New record. The old record was a Black Gum in Bear swamp west at 12 ft 4.5 inches breast height circumference. New record is Bear east.A sweetgum named Whippergum since Bill spotted the grove of three trees.There was one measured at 1 ft 9 in,the second twin Tower was inaccessible due to heavy briar cover but looked slightly smaller but 50 yards out into the swamp was a monster that we could not access that day due to ten foot high briar mats.We went back with hand saw and big limb loppers. In about 20 minutes we made 50 yards and measured Whippergum at 12 ft 8 at breast height.we would have gotten 14 ft if I had incorporated a breast high knot on the back of the tree but Whip said that was cheating so i wen just above it.
Really fantastic! Thanks for posting!