Big Tulip Poplars in the Bear Swamp

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This was taken last winter a day after I discovered these two trees.I took Whipoorbill out to see the trees and he filmed it live on periscope.he just realized his phone saved the video and he sent it to me on facebook. The biggest (second) tree has a Bald Eagle nest in it.The longest occupied nest in Cumberland County.I believe this is the one anyway.back in the 80"s I lived in Dividing Creek and this was before they started raising eagles at the Turkey Point hacking platforms.I had heard of a monster tree in bear swamp with an eagles nest in it and this supposedly gave the inspiration to hack eagles at Turkey Point.I don't know if any eaglets were stolen from this nest to get started or they imported from elsewhere.I was wandering the swamp looking for big trees and wandered into the first tree.I then espied the second one in the distance.These big trees have a peculiar silhouette in the uppermost branches,I also seen the eagle nest which alerted me to how big the tree really was.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They started the hacking project when I was about 22 in 86? Unless they we're doing it awhile before I discovered them out to the Point.I walked up behind a young guy probably younger then I was who lived in a trailer hauled out there during the summer.He was behind a spotting scope spying on the towers across the field.I walked right up behind him and asked Him what he was doing for truly I did not know about the eagles then.I scared the Bejesus out of him.He told me I was not supposed to be back there.I said it's state land ain't it? he said yes.I said I didn't see any posted signs back at the gate.he said they hadn't put them up yet.He didn't like me at first because I was in Camo.I was always in camo back then.he assumed I was a nasty hunter.No I told Him i was not (I neglected to tell him that the rest of my family were and that i was not anti hunting I was just more of an explorer and didn't have the patience to set in a stand and wait for deer to come to me,of course that was before you were allowed to bait them right under your stand.Don't have to wait near as long now)Then once he realized I was not there to shoot eagles he warmed up to me and for the rest of the summer I would go out there an hang out with Him.Forget his name now though.I had actually snuk into the camper/trailer to see what this was doing on state ground and there were official papers and documents lying on the desk so i snuk back out and proceeded up the road and thats when i found him behind the scope.Never told Him i had been in the trailer:)

Reactions: 46er

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great Video Al and Bill. A few good laughs along the way. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Guy.First time I was ever pick pocketed by a bush. I"m surprised i walked that far without noticing it but the tree was in sight so I didn't need it at that point.When i left the tree I"d of noticed it being gone for sure.Normally it's around my neck but I shoved it in my pocket and had the lanyard off my neck for some reason?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A writer of Historical fiction that I really did like and have read all his books was terry Johnston who wrote the Titus bass series and was doing a series on the western Indian battles when He died half way through it.Also Donald Clayton Porter wrote an awesome White Indian series that I read maybe the first 20 books till the indians became civilized and it became less interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How does that happen? Jeff reported that in 2009 and they even responded. The "Mutha of all cedars" is Jeff's find. I will double check the distance with my GPS cords later today to make sure it is the same one.

IMG_3449.JPG