Birding Season Begins!

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Now that herping is done, I'm starting on my winter birding. Here are a few shots from Brigantine yesterday.

Cormorants:
IMG_0137smsm.jpg

Snowy Egrets:
IMG_0346smsm.jpg

American Bittern:
IMG_0267smsm.jpg

Yellowlegs:
IMG_0193smsm.jpg

Ruddy Ducks:
IMG_0152smsm.jpg

One of many black ducks:
IMG_0322smsm.jpg

Eastern Bluebird:
IMG_0259smsm.jpg

Then . . . what could have caused this??
http://tromping.com/images/New Jersey/brigantine/IMG_0224smsm.jpg

Maybe a falcon diving at 200mph? This peregrine was actually perched on a sign RIGHT in front of my car and I didn't notice until it was too late on account of me looking for dumb ducks. After he flew super far away I got this shot:
IMG_0209smsm.jpg

Some snakes are still moving as evidenced by this:
http://tromping.com/images/New Jersey/brigantine/IMG_0358smsm.jpg

And a parting shot:
IMG_0227smsm.jpg

Anyone interested in a few birding trips?? I usually have off early in the week if anyone's game.

-Bob

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Really amazing shots. You must be a patient birder/photographer.
I thought you were out of the area?
That bird part looked more like it had run through a piece of machinery.
Obviously unlikely.

g.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Thanks the the compliments everybody! I feel sort of empty without herps to photograph and post, so I might be posting up my bird finds from time to time.

Unfortunately because of my equipment limitations, alot of my shots are pretty crap-tastic. I'm more of a macro photographer but i'm trying to make due with the terrible lighting and distance I'm so often forced to reckon with.

I'm back in the area at least through winter (maybe longer) and am more than willing to meet up with people for outings. The one problem being that I know most of you are only available on weekends, and that's really the one part of the week I can't get out of work.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob I have 2 prorated personal days at my new job. If you want to head out down were I took you a couple weeks ago I would be up for it. It will probably be after turkey day sometime. Also I hate to rain on your parade but your peregrine is actually a male american kestrel......a falcon though. What was the dead bird a hawk of some sort???

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
yeah i'm down just let me know.

and you're probably right. i'm not sure why i didn't bother to consult the field guide but it does look more like a kestrel. I just made the assumption since peregrines are known to be there . . . i figured that would mean kestrels wouldn't be. (yeah dumb) the dead bird was really just an upside-down dead wing . . . i didn't even get out of the car to see it.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Thanks for posting the pictures. I also went to Brigantine last week (the day it poured). I never saw so many Cormorants. The Bittern was a great find, they are tough to see. This is a good time of year there with all the fall migrations. The Peregrines are there. I had my own private air show with them. I will get there again soon.