Black Bear Alert Waterford Twp. (Jackson Rd. area)

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
Got this message on my facebook.

Waterford Township Residents Be Alert!!!!

On this date the police department received numerous reports of a large black bear in the area of Ellwood, Richards, and Linden Avenues. The bear was pushed by the police department into the woods off of Jackson Road near the Atco Raceway. NJ Fish and Wildlife responded and will continue to monitor the bear. All residents should be aware of their surroundings and do not attempt to approach the bear. The Thomas Richards Elementary School was put on lockdown, due to the unpredictability of the bear. Please contact the police if you see the bear in and around your neighborhood.

Thank you,

WTPD

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
Did not know that. I was aware of Bob Cats and Coyotes. Just not used to seeing an alert about bears like that around here. I also had read that it was seen on Chew Rd. in the area of the tracks last week. I am guessing folks around Waterford/Medford/Evesham are not used to a spotting like this. As I type this message I am now getting alerts via NIXLE.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I presume it was armed.

Al, they are on their way for the berries :bear:
Kozlov_L_Grebnev_from_Biomega.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I presume it was armed.

This whole school "lockdown" thing has gotten out of control. Seems like the appropriate response would have been to just keep the kids inside (which might even be an over-reaction). As I understand it, "lockdown" means parents can't even be admitted to the school if, for example, they had made plans to pick up their child for a doctors appointment. What about schools up in Warren County where bears are common. Are they permanently locked down?

But I don't really know, because we never had "lockdowns" when I was a kid or when my daughter was in school.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was just listening to NJ101.5 and Dennis and Judi spent the better part of an hour mocking the "lockdown" which evidently continues today at all the schools in the area.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was just listening to NJ101.5 and Dennis and Judi spent the better part of an hour mocking the "lockdown" which evidently continues today at all the schools in the area.

Does that mean they will be keeping everyone overnight? :siren:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yep, I think they realized that they over reacted. As far as I know they reversed 911 called everyone in the Atco area, locked down Thomas Richards school and called all the emergency #'s for students. My shop received a call from the school district saying the police confirmed a bear sighting and that the children were all right. My daughter doesn't even go the school they locked down. Only to say later that they aren't going to kill or remove the bear (which they shouldn't) and that more sightings are likely since there has been a family of them living behind the raceway for several years. My wife is a little upset since one of the sightings were in the woods next to our house and they were interviewing our neighbors.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
GREENWICH, Conn. — State environmental officials say young black bear captured after wandering through a neighborhood in Greenwich had traveled from New Jersey.
Town Conservation Director Denise Savageau tells the Greenwich Time authorities found a tag on the bear that had been placed there by New Jersey officials.
Savageau says some bears can travel up to 200 miles from where they were born as they search for food.
The bear was tranquilized on Spring Street Wednesday afternoon after wandering through several backyards.
It will be relocated to a Connecticut state forest.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
GREENWICH, Conn. — State environmental officials say young black bear captured after wandering through a neighborhood in Greenwich had traveled from New Jersey.
Town Conservation Director Denise Savageau tells the Greenwich Time authorities found a tag on the bear that had been placed there by New Jersey officials.
It will be relocated to a Connecticut state forest.

At least they didn't send it back here.

Perhaps NJ officials have finally found a way to get rid of problem bruins. :bear: