Black Bears in the pines

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
Just curious to see if anyone has had a sighting or heard of anyone who has had a sighting of black bears in the Pine barrens lately?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Just curious to see if anyone has had a sighting or heard of anyone who has had a sighting of black bears in the Pine barrens lately?
A friend of mine just went to fill his feeder last week. It looked like it was hit by a truck. After pulling the game camera he had a few good shots of a large bear destroying it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A friend of mine just went to fill his feeder last week. It looked like it was hit by a truck. After pulling the game camera he had a few good shots of a large bear destroying it.

In your area?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I acknowledge that this is anecdotal, but I saw skunk cabbage that had been partially eaten at a pine barrens site in Burlington County. My understanding is that only bears will do that, however I have read mixed things about whether deer will eat them (and read material that contradicted this). Can anyone weigh in on whether this is a reliable sign of a bear's presence?

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
I acknowledge that this is anecdotal, but I saw skunk cabbage that had been partially eaten at a pine barrens site in Burlington County. My understanding is that only bears will do that, however I have read mixed things about whether deer will eat them (and read material that contradicted this). Can anyone weigh in on whether this is a reliable sign of a bear's presence?
"but bears will eat young plants in the spring" http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wildlife-Library/Plants/Skunk-Cabbage.aspx Another site indicated they like to eat the roots as well.... (sorry, I just reread your initial post and am editing mine to reflect....you already stated you knew that bears ate skunk cabbage).

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
I wasn't aware that there was a brush fire last month near Quaker Bridge.. Wow I usually park by the bridge and hike to Lower Forge to camp, but haven't been out there since October.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fire was just above the "concrete bridge" along Quaker Bridge road where the bigger fire last year ended. It did not make it to Quaker Bridge.

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
The fire was just above the "concrete bridge" along Quaker Bridge road where the bigger fire last year ended. It did not make it to Quaker Bridge.

Im not really sure where the concrete bridge is, unless it's the small bridge when you first start down Quaker Bridge road starting from Atsion. I did notice the woods was pretty burnt last summer when you first come in on that road..

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats one tough bear.Skunk cabbage has oxalic acid in it and I know from personal experience it can put the whammy on a mouth.I tried eating some arrow arum and mistakenly boiled it instead of drying it like i should have.Drying destroys the acid but boiling does no affect it.It felt like someone shoving needles through my tongue and gums.The same stuff is in skunk cabbage.Both skunk and arum are edible but must be thoroughly dried first.But then again bears will take a face full of bees for some honey so their pain sensation must be a bit different then ours.

Reactions: NJChileHead

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It felt like someone shoving needles through my tongue and gums.

I took a bite of the root bulb once while out in the woods. Your description is accurate. Lips are affected too. The effect is immediate. Spitting and rinsing with water does not help. It is actually the crystal form of the compound that cause the sensation.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I took a bite of the root bulb once while out in the woods. Your description is accurate. Lips are affected too. The effect is immediate. Spitting and rinsing with water does not help. It is actually the crystal form of the compound that cause the sensation.
I thought I was the only nut that ever did that:) I gave some to a buddy of mine and my ex wife as well. She deserved it and so did He.I won't elaborate on her but he poured Cayenne pepper on an open cut I had gotten from trying to pull his mirror in while He was speeding through a tight woods road.he told me to pull it in and just as I grabbed it He hit a tree which resulted in a real good slice in the palm of my hand.He was an amateur herbalist and had a bag of Cayenne dangling from his rear view mirror. He said it was a coagulant,turns out He spoke the truth.I let him dump it into my cut.I immediately started shreeking like a banshee to which He derived much amusement and proceeded to deride my masculinity because of the pitch my voice reached I assume. I would claim the Cabbage was revenge but I ruined that idea by partaking of it myself.I must say He did take the pain better then I did.He still is a tough cookie in that respect.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes Scott, correct. ChileHead has a good one too!

PS: that video is really embarrassing Scott. White boys really have no soul when they dance, though it won't stop me from trying!

Reactions: manumuskin