Black Phase Timber

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tonight, crossing a road in my area. Velvet black near the tail. Dark, dark.
LongA.jpg
Head.PNG
Tail.PNG

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Nice dark phased female you have their Bob. Did she have the almond dorsal stripe that really sets the color off?

-Did she have any other damage on her besides what can be seen on the tail? I only ask because I am always looking for signs of fungal disease.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice dark phased female you have their Bob. Did she have the almond dorsal stripe that really sets the color off?

-Did she have any other damage on her besides what can be seen on the tail? I only ask because I am always looking for signs of fungal disease.

I'm not sure on both questions Gibby. I assumed that splotch on the tail was leaf litter or a moth.

I have never seen an animal have such self-control. Absolutely still for 5 minutes, and was still in the same pose when I left.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012

How can you tell the sex by looking at it? I have been in the Pines my whole life and always wondered!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
What an awesome creature. I sometimes see photos online of black and yellow phase timbers huddling together at hibernacula or while basking. Incredible.

Regarding determining sex, it can be done for some snakes by the tail taper. Not sure about the timber, but on some snakes, the tail tapers more gradually in males than females, and the male's is longer. The female's tail is shorter and tapers more sharply. I am not knowledgable or experienced enough to determine the sex of a timber.

Reactions: joc and Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
How can you tell the sex by looking at it? I have been in the Pines my whole life and always wondered!

Piney, Chile's post is correct on sexing a snake by appearance alone.

I will try to help even more by using Bob's third photograph. Notice the sudden fattening of the body a few inches past the rattle? The rattle and that section is what you would call a "short" tail. The wide body is more pronounced with this specimen because, more than likely, she is pregnant as Chris stated. A male will not have this feature. Instead the tail will gradually widen somewhere near the middle third, hence the term "long" tail.

Think of it this way, a male's head and tail will have a long gradual taper into the middle of the body (symmetrical), while a female has a fat bottom close to the rattle.

If you think she is a big girl now, wait until the end of July when she is VERY pregnant! She will be gigantic.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bob, I agree with Chris on his sentiment. Keep a watchful eye on her. There are to many jokers and lurkers around anymore.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hopefully, she made it across the road. She ignored my gentle urgings to get across before I left. Had to leave it to mother nature. Here is another perspective of her. By the way, a big fat pine snake was killed on Pasadena Road last week. A friend sent me a photo. I'm not blaming the truckers, but I cannot get on that road without seeing 3 or more sand trucks, no matter what time of day it is. And 'some' of them really cook on that road. How do you slow down with a load of sand?

Right.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Aboloosely Beeoootiful Bob! I have caught them in Tennessee and they are very yellow there.have heard of em this dark in NY and New England but never saw one this dark here.If the snake was actually basking in the open and not caught on the move this would also point to a pregnant female besides the tail taper as mentioned by others.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Piney, Chile's post is correct on sexing a snake by appearance alone.

I will try to help even more by using Bob's third photograph. Notice the sudden fattening of the body a few inches past the rattle? The rattle and that section is what you would call a "short" tail. The wide body is more pronounced with this specimen because, more than likely, she is pregnant as Chris stated. A male will not have this feature. Instead the tail will gradually widen somewhere near the middle third, hence the term "long" tail.

Think of it this way, a male's head and tail will have a long gradual taper into the middle of the body (symmetrical), while a female has a fat bottom close to the rattle.

If you think she is a big girl now, wait until the end of July when she is VERY pregnant! She will be gigantic.

Thank You sir. I have lived out here in the heart of the pines my whole life and never knew how to identify the sex. But since you have explained it I can see what you have identified. Really interesting! :dance:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
And 'some' of them really cook on that road. How do you slow down with a load of sand?

Not to hijack, but to answer Bob's question, most diesel heavy haulers are equipped with an engine brake, also known as a "Jake" brake, when applied, it releases compression from the engine slowing the vehicle. You can tell when its "on" as the engine changes exhaust tone dramaitcally, not that it makes it right or safe to speed with heavy loads, just extra insurance, commom sense still needs to be applied! below is the wiki description, now back to snakes!!!!

"A compression release engine brake, frequently called a Jake brake or Jacobs brake, is an engine braking mechanism installed on some diesel engines. When activated, it opens exhaust valves in the cylinders after the compression cycle, releasing the compressed air trapped in the cylinders, and slowing the vehicle"

PS, I really need to learn how to quote someone on here!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Probably a stupid question, but why are there signs in certain towns and municipalities that state you cannot use Jake Brakes?

I live near the big curve on Lacey road in Bamber. Those Jake brakes are very loud, and disrupted us at all hours of the day. We asked for the signs to be installed. Here is how they sound:

BRAP-BRAP-BRAP-Brap-Brap-brap-brap-brap!

Reactions: Menantico

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
loved my Jake brake when I used to drive.Saves wear and tear on brakes and helps avoid sliding,yes they are loud and annoying and are not allowed in town.Folks would rather have a truck slide through an intersection and wipe out a bus then wake them up and 2 am in the morning.Theirs always two sides to a story.