Blocking ATV Access To Spung's In Wharton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On Saturday Jessica and I worked on a project that has been in the works since around December. The DEP wanted to block off ATV access to the various spungs in Wharton and on Saturday we did just that. With multiple volunteers, the project manager and state employees, spungs off of 206 and Sandy Causeway were blocked off to ATV use. This was all done without road closures which the DEP could have done if they wanted to. To me this is a win win for almost all of us. Obviously, there will be some who won't think so. :)

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

As you can see there is access for foot traffic allowing anyone to visit these places. They are NOT closed off to the public, only ATV activity.

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Jessica at the back entrance to the spung that caused all the uproar last year.

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

Everyone I have spoken to about this is very happy this has occured. What do you think?

Guy

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
All,

On Saturday Jessica and I worked on a project that has been in the works since around December. The DEP wanted to block off ATV access to the various spungs in Wharton and on Saturday we did just that. With multiple volunteers, the project manager and state employees, spungs off of 206 and Sandy Causeway were blocked off to ATV use. This was all done without road closures which the DEP could have done if they wanted to. To me this is a win win for almost all of us. Obviously, there will be some who won't think so. :)

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

As you can see there is access for foot traffic allowing anyone to visit these places. They are NOT closed off to the public, only ATV activity.

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Jessica at the back entrance to the spung that caused all the uproar last year.

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

Everyone I have spoken to about this is very happy this has occured. What do you think?

Guy
Great job guy, looks good

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did they let you operate the Bobcat?

No. That was FFS personnel. One man actually.

Jessica and I did not do much of the construction. The men there were much stronger and quite good at what they were doing. We removed the 8x8 posts from the truck and carried them over to each hole after it was dug.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Very interesting, nice job. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "spung"?
Is access closed off completely, or is there a way for state vehicles to get through (like a gate or chain)?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's great. I specifically mentioned that location to Rob when we did the Jemima Mount project. The only thing I don't like is I wasn't able to help.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very interesting, nice job. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "spung"?
Is access closed off completely, or is there a way for state vehicles to get through (like a gate or chain)?

It is not a road. It is wetland that ATV riders have entered.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That's great. I specifically mentioned that location to Rob when we did the Jemima Mount project. The only thing I don't like is I wasn't able to help.

Obviously I had no control over that John. There is no doubt in my mind you would have done well. I have seen your work.

Guy

Reactions: smoke_jumper
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Outstanding! This is great news! Hopefully they can do this at other sites like the heavily abused "first beach" on the Mullica. Fencing a kayak/canoe drop off location and FFS water pickup area while prohibiting jerks from intentionally tearing up the remaining Cliffside would be wonderful. Thank you for helping to prevent further damage and still balancing that with access!

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
This was a great project for so many reasons. Without a doubt, it was the people involved who made it work. Many thanks to 15 folks representing 9 stakeholder groups who made that possible....and the park service staff and forest fire staff and many other people behind the scenes. There will be more projects such as this that provide a balance of protection and maintain access in the future. It was a good day in the woods for everyone. :)

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
This was a great project for so many reasons. Without a doubt, it was the people involved who made it work. Many thanks to 15 folks representing 9 stakeholder groups who made that possible....and the park service staff and forest fire staff and many other people behind the scenes. There will be more projects such as this that provide a balance of protection and maintain access in the future. It was a good day in the woods for everyone. :)
Sorry to keep commenting but thank you thank you thank you! 9 stakeholder groups working to provide a balance of protection and access is a beautiful thing. well done.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Great job Sis!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wonderful! I love it.

I want to congratulate Terry for having the foresight to put this all together. A tough task, all of that coordination.

And what about Guy and Jess-- what can you really say about those two? They have participated with me on about 10 of the Forked River Mountain Cleanups, and they did some more recent work at Jemima, and now this. They love the pines and show it by always participating in keeping them clean and pristine. They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk, every time.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Great work everybody, the only people that aren't going to like this are the mudders. Would have been there to help, but had to be out of town for the weekend. The only weekend of the year I've actually left the Pines! Go figure!

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I had to leave before the final ponds were blocked and as we drove past the spung right along Sandy Causeway there were ATV's in there driving around. That is blocked with logs and they still drove in. I tried to call back to the group but did not have phone service.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
All,
Guy

Thank you Guy. A sensible and pragmatic alternative to closing down Wharton Forest. Your hard work benefits anyone who loves these woods.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Hopefully these mudders will ignore this location and move on, rather than try to create a "go-around". Through my recent travels in the Forked River mountain area, I've seen a very large amount of barriers consisting of very heavy gauge cable. This also seems to be working. Although there are aways some who will try to tear this down, the vast majority will look at it and turn around and perhaps go home or choose another location (or state) to tear up. This is a great coordination of effort- great job everyone!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I tried to call back to the group but did not have phone service.

I picked up a handheld CB radio sometime back and keep it in the truck, the system is still pretty active with decent range. I'm not certain, but I think LE monitors channel 9. Anyone here have one?

Last edited: