Blocking ATV Access To Spung's In Wharton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I really did not work that hard. The other men did most of the hard work. I did not have the upper body strength to pull the post back out of the hole when it was not deep enough.

Last edited:

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Nice job ,.....But thell just go around it.

I encourage you to not be too pessimistic about this. It's part of a broader effort to stop the bleeding of habitat loss and is just one part of the puzzle. When they make a go-around, that can be blocked, so on and so forth. The key aspect is determination. The ATV's and dirtbikes are harder to block off, but this will stop the trucks for now. It is a tough problem, but I am sure glad to see so many people putting in time to help solve it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Off roading in sensitive areas has significantly reduced since the signs were put up, but there still is some. I carry a camera and will not hesitate to call DEP. That said, lets keep access open and work on the problem.

Well said Ed! At this point it is important for all of us to call when we see someone riding in wetlands where they should not be. If not, there will be road closures and most of us here are against that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If i want to see guard rails I will stay on the highway.

Then find a way to keep people from going into wetlands. We all must remember it is this or the alternative. I for one won't accept the alternative.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This effort is just good common sense, it needs to be paired with a serious change to the punishment part for those that ignore it. Serious fines, no first offense charges, just confiscate the vehicle, sell it at a state auction and use the monies garnered for restorative efforts for damage done. Advertise the punishment to the max. Fines mean nothing to someone that has spent thousands on a vehicle.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"Fines mean nothing to someone that has spent thousands on a vehicle."

You are right! I spoke with one offender who replied that it is an occasional cost of admission to the park.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
With my luck, on the first day of a "Wharton ATV Sting", I'll take a go-around on Fireline Rd and the Po-Po Dragnet will surround me. They'll auction my scratched to heck SUV and sentence me to 200 hours of volunteer work for the PPA.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
It's a good press release and worth reading. I noticed njpinebarens.com got mentioned - good for you guys. (I also see they use the term "ecologically sensitive intermittent ponds" rather than that word I can't find anywhere else...)