Boat Towing Law

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
While printing the Tuckerton Leader on Tuesday night, I came across an article with the headline:

"Gov. Christie Signs Law to Prohibit Towing Boats During Evacuations"

Apparently, costal legislators in the 9th district (Ocean County) strongly advocated an initiative based on recommendations by the Coastal Assembly Evacuation Task Force. One of the precautions was to prohibit the trailering of boats on public highways during an emergency evacuation.

Their argument was that one disabled vehicle could really snarl traffic. Also, it would greatly reduce the volume of traffic on coastal evacuation routes.

Not being a boat owner, I may not know all the details, but... boats are bought in our state, taxes are paid, also, many people travel the highways paying tolls, including"out-of-state" folks. Vehicles are burning gasoline purchased in NJ. You pay ramp fees and are required to get a license. The state is making money from public recreation... but when it comes time for you to protect your investment, you are not allowed the use of public highways and, if convicted, are subject to a fine up to $100, imprisonment for up to 10 days, or both.

I am curious if any one else has heard of this new law. I tried to find some more info online, but was unable. Someone who is a little more savvy with search-engines may be able to dig something up.

The small article appeared on page #14 of September's Leader.

John-

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
why just boats? how about campers and mobile homes. i've seen more broken down landscaping trailers then any others on the side of the road.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think you're on to something, but it's illegal to walk on the highways anyway - safety first! Why not ban all privately owned vehicles and only allow state owned vehicles. This would allow our government to serve us even better. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think you're on to something, but it's illegal to walk on the highways anyway - safety first! Why not ban all privately owned vehicles and only allow state owned vehicles. This would allow our government to serve us even better. :D

Didn't they try that in NO with Katrina? Did a good job, they did.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
If the state would ban natural disasters first and then ban emergency evacuations, we would live in utopia. We wouldn't have to worry about anything.:)