Bobs Documents

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Will somebody give me some tips as to how my file structure ended up like this? I must have done it awhile ago and now I don't remember how or why. Note the two folders titled "Bobs Documents". One is under "My Documents" and one is all by itself, not even in a drive, which really confuses me. And...it is also under C:/Documents and Settings/Bob/My Documents. Now, this last one I understand, because it is the actual target for the "My Documents" at the top of the folder.

I note that whatever I change in the top "My Documents" is reflected in the "Bobs Documents" at the bottom. I mostly want to delete it, but I realize it will probably delete the one above! Oy Vey!

watermark.php

Ben, I'll remove this photo after a bit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry Bob, it's a Windows thing. No help from me.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bob, check and see if you set that folder as a shared folder. If that's the case, you only have the one folder, but it shows up twice.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, check and see if you set that folder as a shared folder. If that's the case, you only have the one folder, but it shows up twice.

I think you are on to something. I may have aggravated my problem by dragging it there as a shared folder and renaming it from My Documents to Bobs documents. I'll fool around with it and see what happens.....thanks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You can go into that folder and set it as unshared. As always, I suggest doing a backup of the folder & subfolders you will be changing before you change it. Sometimes, bad stuff just happens :D

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
My Docs

You probably did this already, but if not right-click on the folder and check out its properties. This will list it's true location and you also have the option to restore to default if needed.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
46er and IM,

I did check it for file sharing. It is not checked in properties. Also, when I look at it in properties, it is not named Bob's Documents, it is named My Documents. I tried to create a folder inside and it worked, so I moved the folder to My Documents too. I then deleted the folder in Bob's documents and it deleted the one in My Documents too. Bottom line, I give up, it is just a curious duplicate of My Documents. It can't be duplicate files, my hard drive is not big enough.

Go figure.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bob, what did you use to get that display of the folders? I'll try the same and see what results I get, it may be normal.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yep, I get similar results. I see the folders under ' My Documents' under the Desktop heading and also under the 'My Computer' heading. The only difference is that your folders have a different structure. I'll try tp post a screen capture a bit later. I don't think you have nay problem.