Bobwhite article

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Severe winter conditions have always taken a certain toll on quail and other wildlife, varying with severity. It's just another normally expected factor, like predation. Adequate habitat is the key foundation. With it, the other factors are buffered. Without it, populations decline or are more easily reduced by other factors, such as hunting or predation. If projects like this can be expanded onto some of the larger public land tracts, the habitat for quail and other species that once existed before more effective wildfire control resulted in more complete forest succession can be restored. That work will not come cheap however. We can no longer let the job be done by the type of fires that once accomplished it, due to human development in and around the Barrens. It requires mechanical removal followed by prescribed burn maintenance. There's also the problem with public perception and the age-old issue of not seeing the forest for the trees.

If anyone wants to view one of these projects on a smaller scale on accessible public land, visit the Forest Resource Education Center in Jackson. They created a demonstration plot aimed at educating visitors on the value of this very type of habitat.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
As much as I love Coyotes I feel that they are the reason the quail and grouse have disappeared. About the time the coyotes came in the ground nesters moved out
I noticed that quail were declining in Atlantic/Cumberland/Cape May Counties a little before the coyote returned. We had big covies here in the 60s. Three observations: 1) forest-fire extent dropped markedly; 2) outdoor poultry ranges disappeared; and 3) wetlands were drying up. Quail were most abundant along turkey, chicken, and duck fence rows at wood's edge. One day a sizable covey passed a fence row so my little sister picked up a forked branch that cupped like a lacrosse stick and caught a quail by trapping it. My jaw dropped. She had read at school that day how Navajo children caught quail in the desert. The geography volume was a relict from the '20s. Many of Milmay school's books were old, but oh so interesting!

Grouse were never common, and the few that were around did disappear with the coyote.

S-M

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I've seen one bobwhite on the side of the road along glade road in Cumberland county. I've heard one call near a poultry farm like spung man said. This was right near running deer golf club, it was really cool to hear. I really like the looks of that habitat in that shot, gonna be great for other species too.

Reactions: manumuskin