Botany

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Hey, I really got them posted!
Here's some Listera australis (tiny little devil!) pix Ro took here in Burlington County a couple of weeks ago that I now know how to post.....
johnny b

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 540
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 568
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 538

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
I've got a question for you guys: When you find Isotria verticillata, what kind of habitat does it grow in, and what other things does it grow with? It's supposed to be widespread in the state, but Paul Martin Brown's book not-so-helpfully says the habitat is deciduous forest, sometimes growing with pink lady's slippers. I've seen pink lady's slippers two dozen different places but never have I managed to stumble upon Isotria, only the vexingly similar (from a distance) Medeola virginiana.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Michael: I'm a beginner in botany; haven't spent years at it. Have seen the Isotria at only one spot: roadside, in Burlington County, population in proximity to large Kalmia angustifolia/Sheep Laurel plants.
Oji or Old Town Hunter much better qualified than me to answer your question.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
oji,

I was out with Lost Town Hunter today and he told me this was rare. He also told me the name and as usual I don't remeber it. Can you name it?

IMG_2954a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A photo of an early Grass Pink Orchid.

IMG_2973a.jpg

Early Rose Pogonia

rose.jpg

Early White Orchid

IMG_2969a.jpg

Quiz time again ...can you name this one??? This time I know the answer. No... it is not a carrot!

IMG_2976a.jpg

IMG_2977a.jpg

I was exploring in and around the pines today for 12 hours and was at the Martha Bridge for the first time in a while. Not looking healthy!

IMG_2979a.jpg

Guy

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, Rattlesnake Fern. I knew you would know it and that is why I took the photo and made certain I had the correct name. :dance: I actually spoke it to my camera to be sure.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro & I checked out "the" Isotria verticillata site yesterday on our way back from inventorying our Parker sites. No blooms, at least one plant with what looked like a full seed pod, several healthy looking plants, lots of little ones. Hope this site stays undisturbed.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took a few photo's this weekend of a few plants I did not have photo's of. This one is not blooming but still interesting to know about.

Pine Barren Bellwort (Uvularia puberula I believe)

IMG_3005.JPG

Damsel Fly (Large view so you have to click the link)

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06162013/IMG_3022a.jpg

Zigzag Bladderwort (Utricularia subulata) This plant is small and hard to focus on.

IMG_3026a.jpg

Guy

Reactions: John

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Here's something you don't see every day:

6595.jpg

In person, it had snow white petals and just the slightest blush of pink elsewhere. The digital picture really brought out the color; it's tough to take good pictures of light things in direct sun.

Reactions: John and bobpbx

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Any guesses to what orchid this may be? I came across three examples of this plant several weeks ago and I think it may be Plantanthera lacera. They are very tall now, almost to my knee. All are in the Inner Coastal Plain just outside the Pine's proper.

orchid.jpg

Reactions: oji

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The photo's I see online look similar. Might be correct.