boydsmaps online connectivity problems

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Use this thread to report any connectivity problems with the site. The following links can help with troubleshooting - the first one will attempt to remotely connect to the site. This can help you determine whether everyone is having problems, or if it's just you.

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/online.boydsmaps.com.html

And this is the status center for the hosting company. The server is in DC-1 Connecticut:

https://support.olm.com/wmcp/server-status/

If you have problems accessing the site, you can post them here. But I have downtime monitoring that should automatically notify me of any problems, so I'll probably already know.

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Must be frustrating after all the time you have invested. I guess it's out of your hands and we'll all have to deal with it.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, this incident was frustrating. Never got a response to the support ticket, but obviously they fixed the problem and it took less than 24 hours. It's a small company and I know their techs are busy so there didn't seem to be a point in getting nasty, although I was going to complain to my sales rep if it wasn't fixed today.

Anyway, everything seems to be back to normal now! :)

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
That's interesting, I have not seen a problem like this in my testing with Chrome. But I'm not using any ad blockers or extensions. They certainly could cause a problem.

We did have a brief outage this morning however, if that's when you ran into this. Got a downtime report from 11:20 - 11:30 AM but didn't bother to post here since it was already over by the time I noticed the e-mail. There was also an outage from 2:42 - 2:45 AM very early this morning.

Some outages are pretty brief, so it's possible you just hit one of those, unless it was not working for an extended period.

rockSteady_32

Aug 16, 2019
NYC
Yeah, I've got a huge amount of Chrome extensions ad blockers/trackers etc installed. You could be right though if it was only down for a few minutes maybe it wasn't caused by an extension. I'll go back to normal Chrome and see if it happens again. Thanks :)

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
BTW, I'm just finishing up a huge update to the site that includes a customizable map menu and other user preferences that you can set. These features use the Web Storage API to store site data on your computer which is a better system than the older "cookie" method. But it will not work in incognito or private browsing mode, which blocks local storage of site data.

rockSteady_32

Aug 16, 2019
NYC
BTW, I'm just finishing up a huge update to the site that includes a customizable map menu and other user preferences that you can set. These features use the Web Storage API to store site data on your computer which is a better system than the older "cookie" method. But it will not work in incognito or private browsing mode, which blocks local storage of site data.
Thanks fot letting me know. Looking forward to the update :)

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Site is down again, just noticed and also received an automated downtime report. This also affects the 3d LIDAR site, which is on the same server. Tech support has been notified.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
No problem on my site, NJGIN servers are very slow however. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately. I see the same problem here at NJPB maps with the NJGIN imagery. Then check the Google map at NJPB, and it's very fast. Or check one of my own maps at boydsmaps, and it is also very fast.

But really, NJGIN has been remarkably good ever since last winter. It used to be slow like this all the time, now that is a relatively rare thing.