boydsmaps site/connectivity problems

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Use this thread to report connectivity problems with any of the boydsmaps sites. I will also post updates to any issues that the site(s) are experiencing here.

Note: To keep this thread short, old problem reports will be deleted after they are resolved.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Site is going offline now for the update, depending on when you visit, you will either see a message or the site may just not work at all. Will post an update here when the update is complete.

Reactions: NJCoastal

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Site is back online now with all the new maps available! :dance:

That went WAY too smoothly... still waiting for another shoe to drop. :D I didn't have any problems accessing the new site using Safari on my Mac, but that may be due to the fact that I constantly clear the cache as I test new code.

Curiously, my phone didn't seem to understand that anything had changed and continued using the old site even though it no longer existed! Evidently it had cached the entire site. Pretty sure this would have broken if I continued for awhile. I deleted the boydsmaps app from my home screen, then went to https://boydsmaps.com in Safari and re-installed the app using the sharing menu. The new site worked properly then, but (as expected) I lost all my app preferences because I hadn't made a backup.

Will continue the discussion of the new maps and software in the other boydsmaps thread.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FYI: I will be uploading and processing new elevation data for the Northwest corner of the Mid Altantic LIDAR map this afternoon, to fix the problem discussed here. You may notice slower than normal response from the server during the update, and might see some glitches if you are actually viewing this portion of the map. It should not create any problems that would require clearing cache or site data however. Will post back when the update is complete.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just noticed today, apparently I screwed up and never uploaded the level 17 tiles for the far south part of the Mid Atlantic LIDAR map. The 3d map was still working anyway, it was just enlarging the level 16 tiles, but the 2d version went blank at level 17 somewhere South of Fredricksburg, VA. I have compiled the missing tiles (about 270,000 of them!) and will be uploading/installing tonight and tomorrow morning so you may notice a performance hit. Will post an update when this is completed.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Today I am beginning the process of transferring over 300gb of new map tiles to expand the Mid Atlantic LIDAR map. This should not create any problems initially because I'm just uploading files, however you may notice a slower response from the site. Later today and tommorrow I will start unpacking/installing the files and that may create more perfomance issues plus some weirdness with the Mid Atlantic map while it's in progress. There will also be a software upgrade that could create the usual cache-related problems.

Hopefully the upgrade will be finished sometime tomorrow (Saturday 7/23). Will post status updates here as the process continues.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Starting to unpack/install files, this may impact site performance. Not sure how long it will take, this could continue into tomorrow. Will post another update later today.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It appears that the NJGIN servers are down. They were working this morning, but now none of their maps are loading. This affects all the New Jersey aerial imagery and topo maps that are hosted by the NJ Office of Information Technology (NJOIT). Other maps are working properly at boydsmaps.com.

The NJGIN outage can be confirmed by trying to view the same maps here with NJPB maps, they will not load. And the NJGIN website is not responding either. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.