Bread and Milk

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had a fleeting thought of going duck hunting this morning, but it passed rather quickly. Getting too old to go out there in this weather.

You know as do I German, when the open waters tighten up, the cricks become a haven.
I can't stand the thought of knowing I missed an opportunity that only comes a few times each season with a harsh cold snap.
Enjoying the elements at times like these will keep you from getting old !
:)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The rain hasn't melted the larger piles of snow on some of the roads near me. The township and city workers like to plow the snow just beyond the street corners where the sewers are located. The huge mounds of snow make great temporary dams!

The standing water in a few areas is causing problems. Hopefully it will drain before it freezes.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Was 58F here (Leisure Town) at 0820, but dropped quickly. Snow gone except a few piles. Now it's begun snowing at 1315. Whacky.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hmmm; NWS and Accuweather agreeing?

590x451_01201404_severe1.png

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
524 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL EVENT BECOMING MORE LIKELY TUESDAY INTO
TUESDAY EVENING WITH COLD AIR TO FOLLOW...

DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ012>027-PAZ070-071-102-104-
106-202100-
/O.CON.KPHI.WS.A.0003.140121T1200Z-140122T0600Z/
NEW CASTLE-KENT-INLAND SUSSEX-DELAWARE BEACHES-CECIL-KENT MD-
QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-
EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-
NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-
ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-COASTAL ATLANTIC-COASTAL OCEAN-
SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-EASTERN CHESTER-
EASTERN MONTGOMERY-LOWER BUCKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...GEORGETOWN...
REHOBOTH BEACH...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...
DENTON...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...
PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...
MOUNT HOLLY...JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY...ATLANTIC CITY...
LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA...
WEST CHESTER...KENNET SQUARE...NORRISTOWN...LANSDALE...
MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN
524 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY...EASTERN SHORE OF MARYLAND...AND ALL OF
DELAWARE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOWFALL WILL BEGIN TUESDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE INTO
TUESDAY EVENING WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL EXPECTED TUESDAY
AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL COULD CAUSE PERIODS OF
HAZARDOUS TRAVEL ACROSS THE AREA.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now a warning.

Not looking good unless you like to shovel or plow.

650x366_01201949_hd25.jpg

Fron JSHN

SNOW TIMING: 9-11 a.m. from west to east. Heaviest from 4:00 p.m. through midnight, perhaps lingering a bit later in eastern areas. Should end between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning from west to east.

ACCUMULATIONS: 6-10" seems p...retty likely for most of the state, but parts of northwest NJ may be "fringed" and only received 3-6" or 4-8". Some isolated amounts of 12-14" cannot be ruled out in parts of central and south NJ, especially in Monmouth and Ocean counties, in the localized heavier bands (tough to nail down now). We'll be able to better narrow down the localized heavy banding as the storm approaches. But we cannot rule out those heavier bands in a few other counties closer to the coast as well.

SNOW TYPE: Very powdery! Similar in nature to the storm from January 3rd.

WINDS: There will be winds and drifting, yes, but not as much drifting as during the January 3rd storm. Peak gusts should be 30 mph.

COASTAL FLOODING: The National Weather Service does not envision coastal flooding.

BITTER COLD: The precipitation will coincide with the arrival of polar air, although it will not be as cold as the arctic blast earlier this month, according to the National Weather Service. Still, below zero wind chills are likely late Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well I like the track of this storm so far, it is completely missing Atlantic and Cape May Counties. Had some heavy flurries before noon, nothing now. Snowthrower is all ready to go, hoping I won't need it though. Not enough snowfall to even cover the ground so far. Of course the day is still young...

My friend's flight was cancelled, so at least I am not driving through it on the way to EWR. But I'll have to go through the aftermath tomorrow (unless that flight also gets cancelled).

I have a question for anyone who goes out later today or tonight though. Heading to New York, I usually take 563 North to Chatsworth, then Savoy - Pasadena Roads to Rt 70 in Whiting. Nice drive through the pines that is well worth the extra 10 or 15 minutes compared to the Parkway. Anyway, if you are driving around on those roads later today, what is the condition?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This may come in handy Boyd as you go further north, NJ 511. Traffic cams and reports among other things. It was very helpful to me when I had to travel into NYC daily for about 2 weeks. Your route is my preferred way of getting south, but I won't be on it, or any other road, today. :)

http://511nj.org/ISGWidget/TheBigGame.aspx

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks - that's a cool site. :cool: I couldn't get an image to appear from quickly clicking on a couple cameras but maybe I wasn't patient enough? Not driving anywhere today either, I made a morning run to fill the gas cans and pick up some beer so I'm ready. :) Might be hitting the road very early in the morning however if the new flight isn't cancelled.

I'll just bet that some members of this site will be out there playing in the blizzard today though. C'mon Gibby, what do you say? :D

Still nothing but light flurries here, but I see some stuff forming in DelMarVa that appears to be headed this way. :eek:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks - that's a cool site. :cool: I couldn't get an image to appear from quickly clicking on a couple cameras but maybe I wasn't patient enough?

Their home page says they are having problems with their camera system and working to correct them. Probably snow on the lens :D What helped me the most was the different colors for traffic speed. They were accurate and helped me choose the best way into, and out of, downtown. It would be nice if they added a road conditions option.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Anyone seeing "real" snow yet? Only about 1/2" here so far, ground is barely covered. Not complaining, mind you. :clint: They have lowered the totals for the Southern part of the state - I am right on the line as usual.

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We have maybe 4" on the ground and coming down gangbusters, strong wind makes it worserer, but it doesn;t look or feel like 'real' snow, more like little styrofoam balls, the kind you get when you open a package, break the styrofoam supports and the little things fly all over the place.

Just received this;

Nixle Building Safer Communities Together

Full Notification

BERKELEY TWP POLICE DEPARTMENT
Tuesday January 21st, 2014 :: 05:09 p.m. EST

Advisory
Due to the weather,A State of Emergency has been declared .All non-essential vehicles are urged to stay off the roads until further notice

Due to the weather, A State of Emergency has been declared .All non-essential vehicles are urged to stay off the roads until further notice
Address/Location
BERKELEY TWP POLICE DEPARTMENT
627 PINEWALD-KESWICK RD
BAYVILLE, NJ 08721
Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 732-341-1132
Navigate & Discover

1. Enter a town, zip code or address
  2. GO!
click

More info at nixle.com. AT&T, T-Mobile®, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and most other carriers are supported. Contact customer support at support@nixle.com
© 2014 Nixle LLC, All rights reserved.